Question on SUP boards - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-07-2013   #1
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 170
Question on SUP boards

Trying to find a descent SUP paddle board for my wife and I. We have a puma and a 14 sb and looking for something we can take out on some rivers and lakes

I have found some good deals ...or get good deals on ramp paddle boards and slingshot paddle boards. Has anyone seen or heard anything on these. Pros vs cons type thing and what features should I look for.

Links below for each website.

Paddle Boards

SUP Products | Slingshot Sports

Thanks buzzards

gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-08-2013   #2
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 160
I have been river Suping for a few years. My current boards are 7'6 badfish MVP and a plastic Imagine rapid fire. I run whitewater and river supsurf. No lake paddling yet.

I did not see any especially good deals on your links, just looks like retail price.

I like the heavy plastic boards for river running, either emotion Traverse(rei $450) or Jackson supercharger. These boards are heavy and would not be good for the lake. I treat mine like a creek boat and drag it to and from the river.

Inflatable options are getting better and they are much lighter. Again marginal for lake use as they are generally wide, built for stability and not glide. For river use - I would look at 6" boards by Hala, NRS or starboard.

Also you might read some of the cks blogs for sup.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013   #3
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 170
Thanks for the reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
I have been river Suping for a few years. My current boards are 7'6 badfish MVP and a plastic Imagine rapid fire. I run whitewater and river supsurf. No lake paddling yet.

I did not see any especially good deals on your links, just looks like retail price.

I like the heavy plastic boards for river running, either emotion Traverse(rei $450) or Jackson supercharger. These boards are heavy and would not be good for the lake. I treat mine like a creek boat and drag it to and from the river.

Inflatable options are getting better and they are much lighter. Again marginal for lake use as they are generally wide, built for stability and not glide. For river use - I would look at 6" boards by Hala, NRS or starboard.

Also you might read some of the cks blogs for sup.

Thanks for info.

I like the inflatables just like you said...do to the size and weight. I would like to be able to bring the board on the river with us and be able to blow up on flat and less technical sections and then be able to deflate and have the wife jump back in the boat and be able to row the boat throught the big stuff and them keep anyone with us entertained on the flat sections.

I also get between 35 and 55 percent off of retail on the websites listed. So that is why I was looking into those boards.
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2013   #4
 
Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,449
The C4 Waterman boards would be a good option, I agree that inflatable is the way to go for travelling and rafting. Not sure I could lift a hard SUP board onto my car as easily as I could load a creek boat.
__________________
Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. - Voltaire
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013   #5
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 170
Okay so I am o e of the poor buzzards that has a 14sb Saturn. We don't need to get into the whole discussions again about the Saturn but lets just say I could use the floor to my advantage. What if I cut the three stitching sections out on the Saturn. Glued some nrs slots for fins and done i have a ghetto SUP board and still a half ass raft. We not have a puma and the Saturn is only used for small rivers or floats. I was at galleys Fest last year and then cheat Fest this year and stride was there with there version of this. Essentially the same set up. Any thoughts. And don't say try it and send pics ha ha
__________________
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #6
 
2kanzam's Avatar
 
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobigohome View Post
Okay so I am o e of the poor buzzards that has a 14sb Saturn. We don't need to get into the whole discussions again about the Saturn but lets just say I could use the floor to my advantage. What if I cut the three stitching sections out on the Saturn. Glued some nrs slots for fins and done i have a ghetto SUP board and still a half ass raft. We not have a puma and the Saturn is only used for small rivers or floats. I was at galleys Fest last year and then cheat Fest this year and stride was there with there version of this. Essentially the same set up. Any thoughts. And don't say try it and send pics ha ha

I have an extra drop stitch floor out of a ducky I have thought about doing this with...love to see if it works!
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013   #7
 
Redpaddle's Avatar
 
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 214
Just FYI, inflatable SUP board construction is really different from rafts/duckies. The drop stitching is much more thorough and the boards get really stiff up in the 15-20 PSI range. You might be able to glue fins onto a ghetto rigged raft floor but I, personally, would not consider that a SUP board: it'd be a floppy mattress with fins.

not saying it won't get you down the river...

In response to the main question: I have been SUPing for a few years, and love both my fiber and inflatable boards for different things. Downriver there is no question that I like inflatable. I've demoed a lot of boards and they all have their merits, I ditto what was said above re: 6" thickness being nice. for lakes, a hard board is the way to go. but an inflatable will get you around if you're not in a hurry.
__________________
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013   #8
 
gobigohome's Avatar
 
Golden, Colorado
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redpaddle
Just FYI, inflatable SUP board construction is really different from rafts/duckies. The drop stitching is much more thorough and the boards get really stiff up in the 15-20 PSI range. You might be able to glue fins onto a ghetto rigged raft floor but I, personally, would not consider that a SUP board: it'd be a floppy mattress with fins.

not saying it won't get you down the river...

In response to the main question: I have been SUPing for a few years, and love both my fiber and inflatable boards for different things. Downriver there is no question that I like inflatable. I've demoed a lot of boards and they all have their merits, I ditto what was said above re: 6" thickness being nice. for lakes, a hard board is the way to go. but an inflatable will get you around if you're not in a hurry.
Cool thanks for info. I enjoy the constructive critism and feedback. I didn't think about the difference in psi and how much the floor and side tubes make it is feel stiff but it an illusion. How long for the ideal length for river running ?
__________________
Ski It, Raft It, Drink It
Loveland, Clear Creek, Coors
gobigohome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013   #9
 
Redpaddle's Avatar
 
Newport, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 214
Length is a tough question to answer. Length will give you speed but stability is also dictated by thickness, width and shape. My first board was 10'8" x 34" x 4" but my brother's (which I like much more) is 10' x 34" x 6" and it has more rocker. Basically it cuts across current lines more easily and turns much easier due to the rocker. the 6" also gives it a lot of stability. There are tons of different designs out there right now but as was mentioned previously, some excel at surfing at the expense of river running and vice versa.
__________________
"Paddle silently, boof loudly"
Redpaddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Used SUP boards for sale Whitewater Tube Co. Partner's Forum 0 01-03-2013 03:38 PM
New Paddle boards on the way!! Whitewater Tube Co. Partner's Forum 0 08-10-2012 11:01 PM
New boards for new chicks? 55snow Winter Buzz 7 01-22-2008 11:40 AM
Split(snow)-boards FLOWTORCH Winter Buzz 13 09-28-2005 12:44 PM
Any word on 2005 boards? RapidSnow Winter Buzz 1 01-03-2005 09:16 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.