Inflatable one board quiver - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2014   #1

Mokena, Illinois
Paddling Since: 2010
Inflatable one board quiver

I want a board that can do it all. Camping, surfing, river running and flat water touring and an inflatable would be nice. Any thoughts?

Troutbum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
A lot of boards will do one or two of those things well, but the needs of each type of paddling are so different that it's hard to find a swiss-army-knife-board. The 10'6" MVP seems appealing, but I haven't gotten to paddle it yet and it's not an inflatable:

10’6 MVP | Badfish Stand Up Paddling Boards

IMO having a quiver ends up being better than trying to find one board.
benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #3

Mokena, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamin_smith View Post
A lot of boards will do one or two of those things well, but the needs of each type of paddling are so different that it's hard to find a swiss-army-knife-board. The 10'6" MVP seems appealing, but I haven't gotten to paddle it yet and it's not an inflatable:

10€™6 MVP | Badfish Stand Up Paddling Boards

IMO having a quiver ends up being better than trying to find one board.
My problem would be smashing it on a rock. How well does the 9ft MVP paddle flat water? How good does the sharkskin work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Yeh, it doesn't look like they're offering the 10'6" with sharkskin :/

I have a 7'6" MVP-S, and it's a pretty poor flat water paddler.

The sharkskin on my board has worked pretty well so far, no punctures or cracks. It has DENTED though, when taking fairly minor hits river surfing. It's kind of surprising, and I assume the epoxy underneath is cracked, but it's definitely not taking on water. Glide's surface shield seems to do a better job, no dents or dings in my Sesh.
Old 01-21-2014   #5

Mokena, Illinois
Quote:
Yeh, it doesn't look like they're offering the 10'6" with sharkskin :/

I have a 7'6" MVP-S, and it's a pretty poor flat water paddler.

The sharkskin on my board has worked pretty well so far, no punctures or cracks. It has DENTED though, when taking fairly minor hits river surfing. It's kind of surprising, and I assume the epoxy underneath is cracked, but it's definitely not taking on water. Glide's surface shield seems to do a better job, no dents or dings in my Sesh.

The sesh is play park only right? Any other glide river boards for more river running?
Old 01-21-2014   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Yeh the sesh is play park only. The Lochsa is their river running board, but it's kinda a slow beast when it comes to surfing:

Glide river sup the Lochsa | Glide Paddleboards
Old 01-21-2014   #7

Mokena, Illinois
Quote:
Yeh the sesh is play park only. The Lochsa is their river running board, but it's kinda a slow beast when it comes to surfing:

Glide river sup the Lochsa | Glide Paddleboards
Do you know of any inflatables? That would be good I'm the river?
Old 01-21-2014   #8

Boulder, Colorado
I'm personally not a fan of inflatables. I'm sure someone else here could recommend some inflatable SUPs though.
Old 01-22-2014   #9

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Uli boards get great reviews. I would probably buy one of those if i did it again. Not crazy about the NRS boards i've tried.

I have a C4 waterman 10'6". great for river running (rockered ends easy turner) but it is thinner (less stable) than many of the newer designs. I also have 2 hard boards and they certainly are faster. But for river running and traveling (i have brought it on the plane 3-4 times) inflatables are great.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Sounds like the board you need is the Badfish 10'6" MCIT Inflatable. It's a great platform for everything you've mentioned except for surfing. Any inflatable board, especially 10'6" isn't going to be a great surfer, though you will be able to catch standing waves and play around.

The extra volume with the side tubes help hold in gear under the straps for loading camping gear in. It's incredibly stable. River running is what I've used my 90% of the time, but it's paddled well in the flatwater environment too. Having the side tubes keep the board from flexing while paddling, which is lost energy. I also get an extra fin or two, cutting some down for the rivers and keeping a long fin for the flatwater.

I've paddled one since they came out and have no plans of getting rid of mine. It's a solid board. Good luck in the hunt, and if you have any questions - lemme know!
mtnmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote