How to keep going - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-29-2012   #1

Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1987
How to keep going

I have been into whitewater kayaking for 22 years (that would make me an old man to some of you) but a little over a year ago I had a "near miss". I almost didn't go home that day and I have not been boating since. I've spent my hole life in the water but even when I took up swimming (in a pool for exercise) I had minor panic attacks at first. How do you get past this? I have often thought about picking up a new sport, like climbing, but kayaking has been too big a part of my life to just drop. I just can't get myself to feel comfortable with the thought of doing it again.

stickyiguanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Most of us have been through this type of experience one way or another, although you have been on the river longer than many....everyone deals with it differently, some are able to get back into it, some are not.

Here are a couple of similar threads that might provide a little reading material for you:

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ves-25961.html

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...nce-30829.html

good luck
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Have you considered switching to a boat (raft or cataraft)? I would think you could get the same pleasure with what I consider a less hazardous hobby
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012   #4

Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I had a similar experience but with open water swimming, where I was in a race and got ran over and pushed under water and could not find a hole to come up for a breath for what felt like forever. It was hard to get back in the pool or ocean without a little panic. I did start pool swimming again then open water swimming and pushed through it.

I would also suggest picking up flatwater kayaking. You still get the paddling feel and solitude, but without the stress around whitewater. When you feel ready for whitewater stick to confidence runs with paddlers that you are comfortable with.

Good luck
TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #5

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
This may be too touchy-feely for most guy- but after a really lucky flip last year i've been journaling to help sort out how i feel. Do i really want to consider boating dangerous stuff? Why do i? How can i continue in a way that is fun?

I'd also recommend some fun and safe watersports to get you comfortable and happy swimming once you get past panic in the water. Like water polo or something water-immersed. So the fun of the game takes over your mind and not just laps
Old 01-29-2012   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Step it down a notch or two.The fear is mostly in your head.Part of it might be legitimate if you are pushing yourself too hard,but if you have been boating that long then you know what you can do. Say you are a 5- boater and had your mishap on a 4+/5- rapid/run,go run some 3 just to get your confidence back .After a while you will probably think it is too easy,get bored, and want something more challenging.If you are petrified it is all psychological, you know you can run 3 with ease. Basically just confront your fears under safer conditions,then progress gradually back up as far as you are comfortable.Maybe you'll get back to where you were or harder,maybe just be good with easier stuff or enjoy the non adrenaline aspects of the sport;camraderie,scenery,playing,etc. Don' t let irrational fears ruin a great part of your life.

Yes ,I've had close calls,pinned in an undercut once and almost swam VI ish water swimming into a must make eddy,and many other ,mostly embarrassing, swims.I found it important to get back on the horse soon,and even stepped it up some after those incidents.But getting older I am more than happy on easier stuff,i never ran harder than a little 4+/5- anyway ,but 3-4 suits me fine now.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #7

Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 96
My gf is going thru the same thing. It was pretty damn close.

Interested to hear how others deal with this.
Old 01-29-2012   #8
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
In your case I would definitely recommend stepping it down to whatever is fun (maybe class III for starters). maybe try other craft as tard suggested. if that isn't fun then take a break. go mountain biking it is super safe. I'm not sure climbing has that going for it.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #9

overcrowdedskitown, Colorado
I watched some friends have a close call in a raft, I pulled one of them out and into my boat. It was scary shit. So just having been part of something like that made me take it down a notch. I do mostly floaters in the II - III range now and just enjoy the scenery and being outdoors.
So if you still have the itch, which it sounds like you do, get out on a lake or flat river or a raft on mellow trip like ruby horse and just enjoy the day doing nothing but cruisin'
Iraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012   #10

Tacoma, Washington
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt
This may be too touchy-feely for most guy- but after a really lucky flip last year i've been journaling to help sort out how i feel. Do i really want to consider boating dangerous stuff? Why do i? How can i continue in a way that is fun?

I'd also recommend some fun and safe watersports to get you comfortable and happy swimming once you get past panic in the water. Like water polo or something water-immersed. So the fun of the game takes over your mind and not just laps
Funny you mention that...I work in a fairly dangerous occupation as well and a co-worker had near death experience happen to him. My advice to him was what you are telling me now. To get through it, write your thoughts in a journal and collect yourself from the pieces you find yourself in and gradually pull yourself back together. I don't think that that is too touchy-feely at all...maybe it is but I'm okay with it. Thanks.
stickyiguanas is offline   Reply With Quote