Help looking for a new board - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-27-2013   #1

fayetteville, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1995
Help looking for a new board

I am looking for a new sup board that can be used in whitewater but I don't want a inflatable board any thoughts or company's to look out for

timothy2031469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
Are you going to do mostly down river paddling? If so I'd take a look at these three:

Whitewater Kayak: Surf Board, Stand Up Paddle Board, Surfing | Jackson Kayak
Corran Stand Up Paddle Boards | Corran Sup
MVP | Badfish Stand Up Paddling Boards

Although, I don't actually own any of those boards. They seem to be the top names in non-inflatable, down river, white water SUPs. I've paddled a badfish river surfer, but I'm into river surfing.
benjamin_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #3

fayetteville, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 1995
I work in southern west Virginia and spend a lot of my time paddling on the new I would like a board that I could surf and paddle Through some of the more meatier rapids But wouldn't be a Pain if I wanted to take it out on flat water
timothy2031469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2013   #4

Georgetown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
check out these guys

Timothy,
check out Glide SUP. They make real river boards, in SALT LAKE CITY.

www.glidesup.com

-Ryan
RyanMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMullen View Post
Timothy,
check out Glide SUP. They make real river boards, in SALT LAKE CITY.

www.glidesup.com

-Ryan
Man the Sesh looks like a sick board from Glide. Any idea how their boards hold up compared to Badfish with shark skin?

Timothy, it'll be hard to find a board that is great in flat water, down river, and surfing. You'll end up getting a board that's jack-of-all-trades but master-of-none

I think if I were you I'd consider the Mongo | Glide SUP and the Whitewater Kayak: Surf Board, Stand Up Paddle Board, Surfing | Jackson Kayak, my guess is they'd be good down river paddlers, ok to great surfers, and just ok on flat water.

I own a Surftech 1006 RF B-1 Bomber SUP, which is a good to great surfer, ok flat water paddler, and ok down river paddler.

It's hard to find a board that is master of everything. You'll just need to build up your quiver
Old 07-28-2013   #6

Georgetown, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The sesh is park and play only. Holds up better than the shark skin, as is is a full coverage, lighter, and the first in coated epoxy boards. The mongo, depending on your size is fun downriver and surfer. The lochsa, downriver monster, but you can only surf big waves, Glenwood above 10. I have one of each if you want to test run one.
RyanMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #7

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMullen View Post
The sesh is park and play only. Holds up better than the shark skin, as is is a full coverage, lighter, and the first in coated epoxy boards. The mongo, depending on your size is fun downriver and surfer. The lochsa, downriver monster, but you can only surf big waves, Glenwood above 10. I have one of each if you want to test run one.
Nice! I'd love to try them out sometime.
Old 07-29-2013   #8

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I have a number of downriver boards and have ridden a bunch. The Jackson SUpercharger is by far the best board out there. Been cleaning all of shashone on it, ran the lower blue yesterday and cleaned all the drops no problem. It is super stable, and fairly nimble.
Yes it is a tank, weighing in at over 40 lbs and the deck padding, imo sucks. Too slick.
They should have used regular deck padding.
Price is also nice at around 799 retail
I know CKS is selling one with a dent in it for 199 right now.
skideeppow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by skideeppow View Post
I know CKS is selling one with a dent in it for 199 right now.
Holy cow, that's a good price (if the dent is only cosmetic). I didn't see it listed on their website... I'm guessing it's only a local deal huh?
Old 07-29-2013   #10

On the Highway, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
If you're looking for a board that can clean rapids and catch river waves and surf em like a champ, then the Badfish MVP is your board. Looks like the 9'0 would work for your size. The Sharkskin edition def handles the rocks and rio abuse very well.

It's a true hybrid with a nose that pierces holes & waves and tapers and slims down in the tail allowing you to step back and carve this board - with a surfboard's response.

As far as the claim to Glide's protective goo blend holding up comparatively to the Sharkskin, let's get honest here. The Sharkskin is a new product. There hasn't been a true test of comparison. Though, I've personally watched the abuse from river rocks, dragging the MVP board across dynamite blast rocks, rock splats, etc... And it's holding up perfectly fine.

bldrmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote