drysuit or wetsuit for downriver sup? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-07-2014   #1

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
drysuit or wetsuit for downriver sup?

So, I've sold my playboat and decided to get a sup. Thinking about the Badfish MCIT.

Anyway, I need a drysuit for creeking and plan to get one this season, but it seems like I have seen more sup'ers wearing wetsuits lately... Learning to sup seems like a good way to tear up a brand new drysuit...

Guess I am wondering which you prefer?

Thanks

lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Full disclosure I do NOT sup.

I do raft (r2 a shredder on clear creek very cold water, and usally very wet runs), and I drive a aire force ik an even wetter ride !

I started with hydroskin ( a thin wet suit ) and splash pants and top, it worked ok.

Then I upgraded to a NRS drysuit, had it 3 or 4 seasons now. Love it way more comfortable, warmer and dries way faster.

I disagree with you that SUPing will be unduely hard on the drysuit. People use drysuits to windsurf a similar sport.

buy a good quality drysuit some merino wool base layers and you will be great.

I watch a guy on a badfish sup in golden the other day surf - he was wearing a drysuit
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks for the response. I would generally agree that drysuits are better, and I plan to get a GMER (also looking at the Sweet Intergalactic). At least to begin with I plan to do a bunch of Milk Runs to get comfortable with balance and maneuvering before picking up a dedicated surf sup, and envision myself falling on rocks and banging off of them swimming etc, as well as a much higher likely hood of beating through brush and trees... the last 2 years I have seen more and more wetsuits and in fact Lenny from the Deerhammer told me the other day his wetsuit keeps him warm enough to surf the park pretty much year-round...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2014   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Lots of dry suits in the swap lately...
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #5

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
lmyers,

I would suggest going over to CKS and demoing some different boards and see what you like and what you might not like. I tried the MCiT and while I believe it was too short of a board for my 6', 180# size. That said I preferred the 6" drop stitch boards such as the Hala boards. The MCiT I constantly had water on the deck between the two side chambers...

and more to your original post...drysuit for cold cold water cool air temp. wetsuit for cool water warm air temps...
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #6

Buena Vista, Colorado
Thanks, both of you. I will check the swap Randy, always nice to save a few bucks, especially when planning to drop a couple grand...

Certainly not set on the MCIT, just liked the design of it. Blackshire suggested I check out the Hala Straight Up as well...

Perhaps I should just buck up and get both, wetsuit and drysuit...
Old 05-07-2014   #7

I agree - get both, some padding and wear your full face helmet for those stopper rocks.

Also - just like with kayaks, demo as many boards as you can. If you are mostly going to stay close to home and push it on the whitewater you should look at the plastic boards corran and Jackson have out. But I love the weight and portability of the inflatables.

Might as well check out some river surfers while you are at, I expect you will have one of those also by the end of the summer as well.
Cliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #8

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I think it mostly comes down to person preference. I almost exclusively wear a wetsuit, while my girlfriend loves her drysuit. Here's a couple of things to think about:

- It's almost always easier to swim in a wetsuit. If you're planning on surfing, you'll be swimming.
- Wetsuits can get cold if you spend time out of the water and the air temp is cool. If you're downriver paddling and you fall in once every 15 minutes, a drysuit will keep you warmer.
- You can layer under a drysuit to match the temps.
- Wetsuits are cheap and durable compared to drysuits.
- Wetsuits offer an extra layer of protection against rocks. Your shins will thank you.
Old 05-14-2014   #9

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shredder-scott View Post
Full disclosure I do NOT sup.

I do raft (r2 a shredder on clear creek very cold water, and usally very wet runs), and I drive a aire force ik an even wetter ride !

I started with hydroskin ( a thin wet suit ) and splash pants and top, it worked ok.

Then I upgraded to a NRS drysuit, had it 3 or 4 seasons now. Love it way more comfortable, warmer and dries way faster.

I disagree with you that SUPing will be unduely hard on the drysuit. People use drysuits to windsurf a similar sport.

buy a good quality drysuit some merino wool base layers and you will be great.

I watch a guy on a badfish sup in golden the other day surf - he was wearing a drysuit

I just got the new NRS Radient 4/3mm wet suit and its almost too WARM! Its nice when you are in chilly water (40ish degrees) but if you are up on board and sun is out, you head up quick! Its awesome for overcast days when no direct sunlight. I could see using it in winter too cause its so warm, just would need gloves and neoprene socks.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014   #10

Beersheva, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
If you're looking at running class III and above on the SUP I'd recommend a wet suit since you'll be in the water a lot with the whole trial and error game. It'll keep you comfortable in the water, and while you're on the board you're working pretty hard so you'll stay warm. Hyperflex makes some pretty decent suits for really cheap, which is a good option if you're worried about tearing it up on rocks.
j-jo-ber is offline   Reply With Quote