Ankle strap for SUP - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-07-2012   #1

Eagel Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Ankle strap for SUP

Is it recommended to have an ankle strap for paddle boarding or is it dangerous on the river?

jdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2012   #2
AQS

Edwards, Colorado
I would recommend that if you are going to use a leash, make sure it is a quick release. Either a quick release leash (several waist models out there) or a leash hooked up to the quick release harness on a rescue PFD.
An ankle leash by itself for down river is not a good idea & can open you up to entanglement problems.
AQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #3

Carbondale, Colorado
SUP Ankle Strap

A man died on Grizzley due to ankle strap. Definately do not anklestrap Use quick release life jacket on rivers only...personally, I'm not too big on having anything strapped to me!
AMYMOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2012   #4

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMYMOON View Post
A man died on Grizzley due to ankle strap. Definately do not anklestrap Use quick release life jacket on rivers only...personally, I'm not too big on having anything strapped to me!
I had only heard he had no helmet or PFD. Where did you hear about an ankle strap entanglement leading to his death. Not doubting you, but I would like to read it myself
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012   #5

other side, of the mountain
Paddling Since: 1994
NRS makes a river specific SUP leash with a quick release waist belt, or attach the leash to your rescue vest as you would a pigtail. The NRS setup is quite cheap in price.
Old 07-09-2012   #6

I have been using my rescue vest with leash, it is a bit short, so I throw on a 3' cam strap that stays on the SUP
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure. - Helen Keller
sward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012   #7

dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGjethro View Post
I had only heard he had no helmet or PFD. Where did you hear about an ankle strap entanglement leading to his death. Not doubting you, but I would like to read it myself
Any quick search of this incident will show reports that his board got held up in rocks and he was held in the water by his leash...however it is unclear whether or not he was already dead when his board got hung up or not. Irregardless there have been several tubing accidents (Gunnison comes to mind) due to leashes that were not breakaway.
chepora is offline   Reply With Quote