Yokes VS. Drop Rails - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-25-2016   #1

Yokes VS. Drop Rails

I've been lurking the forums for a few years, and I'm about to start building a frame for some 16' RMR tubes(fishing setup that can also multi-day).

I have a 54"wide NRS fishing frame that I want to use my assortment of crossbars on a double rail style cataraft frame(72"wide◊120" long).

Through my work, I have a good source for 1 1/4 sch40 6061 and/or 6063. I don't have a tubing bender or the ability to weld aluminum myself. But I know of people/businesses that do.

As for flooring, I plan on having rigid floor in the bow and stern for anglers and a woven seat belt floor between them for the rowers station.

So, what I am wondering is

Would it be easier to have some drop rails bent for my frame or have yokes welded up or a yoke "kit" purchased from rowframe.com?

Some say you want rounded corners on the top frame, but that isn't an option with a yoke system. How important are round corners on a cat frame?

I'd like to hear some pros and cons of both yoke and drop rail cat frames.Keep in mind, I'm ballin' on a budget.

leif.eggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016   #2

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
With a ten foot long frame, you are going to have to support the floor with spreader bars or when you stand on it it will bow in and down. I have two 10 foot frames they both have yokes One has a spreaderbar in the middle and I run straps up to the middle seat bar. The other has a set of drop downs i made from pipe and lopros. The drop downs come from the middle seat bar and go down to the floor rails. I did put a spreader bar across the drop downs about half way to the floor forming an H. I think if you are going to weave a floor than that alone will require spreader bars to keep it tight.

You could use drop rails but you would need to run spreader front middle and rear. My 2 cents. Good luck
Old 03-25-2016   #3

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
OK I missed the hole part about the rigid floor. So it will brace everything and you do not need spreaders. Might want to consider the drop downs though.
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2016   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
This is something I have experimented with. I really like NRS frames, but for cats I like the yokes. On rafts it doesn't matter but on cats the frame is the structure that is providing the strength and rigidity. Yokes provide a very good platform but drop rails leave the frame without the lateral rigidity that is necessary for cats IMO. There are things you can do to help like adding crossbars between drop rails along the length of the boat but at that point you just well go with yokes anyway.

This is all relative of coarse. I want my frame to be VERY rigid. That is why I like yokes, but many catarafters out there are using droprail frames and even speedrail frames without significant problems. That is my two cents.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016   #5

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Also, if you look through the picture section you will see many rafts/cats that don't have rounded corners. I have never heard of an advantage other than the tiny bit of weight savings without fittings.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016   #6

First, Thanks for the input!

The thought behind the rounded corners is (that its claimed that) its less likely to wear on tubes, and less painful if you hit your body on it. kinda makes a bit of sense. But I know that there are tons of cats with 90 degree corners. And if you hit your body against your frame its going to hurt regardless.

Planning on going with drop rails with horizontal 2 spanner bars and 2 vertical support struts supported from the top crossbars. I really like how the rounded corners look, and plan on building it similar to a DRE cat frame. I know that a good welder can make bomber yokes, but since im not wanting to shell out the pennies for the NRS yokes with a warranty, i like the idea of (mostly) bent components over welded.

When you guys mention how "rigid" the frame is, is that in regards to horizontal flex? torsional flex? or kitty corner flex?

Will having double side rails help with the rigidity?
leif.eggert is offline   Reply With Quote