Yoke / Foot bar ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-19-2015   #1
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Paddling Since: 1996
Yoke / Foot bar ?

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has used an NRS cataraft yoke as a foot bar on their cataraft. I've seen that set up in various pictures of other cats. To be more specific in regards to elevations; If one was sitting on a low-back NRS seat attached to NRS "Frame Seat Bar", could perhaps using a yoke as a foot bar be a comfortable fit? Or perhaps would it put your knees to high? Or some other issue? Knowing very well one needs to set a comfortable distance between seat and whatever is used for a foot bar.

Obviously I don't have the components to see for myself. The reason for pondering the thought is because the frame I am conjuring up will be very long and I would like some extra support for the lower side rails without using lower side rail "spreader bars". And yes I have looked into the dimensions shown on the "Modular Frame Part Dimensions" page at NRS. If this is a set up you run I would like your input. Or if you have tried this and thought "No way!", why? Thanks.

evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2015   #2

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I thought about it, but never did it. It would add a fair amount of weight to the frame, but it would add the structure for the lower rails and should work fine as a footbar. My cat was a 14 footer, so in the end it seemed like overkill for me. I added structure with small skid guard floors in my rower bay and cargo bay..
Old 06-20-2015   #3

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by evL_MT View Post
Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has used an NRS cataraft yoke as a foot bar on their cataraft. I've seen that set up in various pictures of other cats. To be more specific in regards to elevations; If one was sitting on a low-back NRS seat attached to NRS "Frame Seat Bar", could perhaps using a yoke as a foot bar be a comfortable fit? Or perhaps would it put your knees to high? Or some other issue? Knowing very well one needs to set a comfortable distance between seat and whatever is used for a foot bar.

Obviously I don't have the components to see for myself. The reason for pondering the thought is because the frame I am conjuring up will be very long and I would like some extra support for the lower side rails without using lower side rail "spreader bars". And yes I have looked into the dimensions shown on the "Modular Frame Part Dimensions" page at NRS. If this is a set up you run I would like your input. Or if you have tried this and thought "No way!", why? Thanks.
My Jag is set up that way and it works great. Actually more secure than a footbar. I'm running it Idaho style, so no extra yoke.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-20-2015   #4

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I can weld you on a foot hoop if your in western Montana.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015   #5
18' Kodiak

None Ya Creek, The Last Best Place...
Thanks!

What a great bunch! I appreciate your responses. As well I was on the phone with Will at NRS and from his experience, mentioned that would be fine. Obviously it's up to a rowers personal "taste" as it may be. In response to all that have posted as of late... I'm not to concerned with weight as the frame itself will be 12' long. This will be on a 18' Kodiak. It's, well, big. Good to hear that it works Idaho style. And Spider I can do that as well, but been a while. We've got it all at our shop but might need to get a helium mix for the TIG. But I think argon will work up to 1/2". Anyhow that's besides the point. I'd use the yoke as is perhaps. I do have some other welding I wish to do though. Ya Spider I am in western Montana. South of Zoo Town. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks folks!
evL_MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Thats how I do it and I strap my drybag in the center between the two bars. That leaves just enough room for my feet on each end. Even on my white water rig. I love the yoke system.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015   #7

West of Boulder, CO
I've always used an NRS yoke for a foot bar. They are pretty much made for that, IMO.
Old 06-22-2015   #8

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I run 4 yokes on a 12' frame on a leopard. The 4th yoke is homemade from speedrail. Imo you need the yokes to stiffen the frame and keep it solid. My front yoke is s passenger footbar. My second yoke has a crossbar immediately in front of it to push forward a drybox to give my toes space. Someone more frugal might use a 2x4

My third yoke is about 2/3 back and would work as another passenger footbar but I run an everything bag and with all that gear I can run three in front and dont need more passenger space.
Old 06-22-2015   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Lol I've seen a lot of spreader bars become bent spreader bars first time you hit something with an 18' loaded cat
Old 06-22-2015   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I used a yoke as a foot bar in the front of my frame many times. While sitting on an NRS seatbar, you do need a long rowers bay as your ass is so low you can't really bend your knees and you need distance to vary depending on your leg length. My yoke always had an NRS spreader bar mounted directly behind it and that gap created a pocked for my feet. Without a spreaderbar I'm not sure your toes would fit. If you had a solid or mesh floor between the bottom rails that could work. And don't worry, once your NRS spreaderbar becomes a bent spreader bar, it will still work

That said, I'm not sure a yoke with it's weight and price tag is the best option for you. While rowing from the front of an empty cat it is very efficient. For a big, loaded cat I think you might consider other options first. I'm not sure why you'd sit on a seat bar with a loaded boat as in my experience they are a huge waste of space and you gain so much from sitting on a cooler or drybox. I think welding on a narrow hoop to an NRS crossbar would be a better bet. Make it narrow enough to fit between the two rocket boxes in your rowers compartment.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote