Yeti is the shit - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-21-2014   #1

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Yeti is the shit

I bought my yeti 120 in 2010 and last year on the GC I noticed some warping and ice retention loss. I called them up and they asked for pics--two hours later I had a return authorization number and the new 125 qt cooler was shipped the next day. Free shipping back to them, they picked up every nickel on this. I'm very impressed with their customer service.

I'll keep you posted on the ice retention, but the red flags came out on my last GC trip pretty quickly, whereas, many of my friends have been very satisfied with this cooler on other hot, but shorter trips.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #2

Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildh2onriver View Post
I'll keep you posted on the ice retention, but the red flags came out on my last GC trip pretty quickly, whereas, many of my friends have been very satisfied with this cooler on other hot, but shorter trips.
Do you place a cloth cover that can be soaked or a light colored foam pad above your cooler?

{Impressive service anyway}
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
I had a first generation yeti 85. About 2.5 years after purchase, I had a lid warping issue for on apparent reason. I called them up not expecting much as the warranty was only 2 years, and expected to try and buy a new lid. They said the model was discontinued and I couldn't buy another lid as they had no more of that style. They offereted me about $70 towards the purchase of a new cooler, which cost more than $300. FU Yeti. Would never buy another one.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2014   #4

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
I've got a quiver of Yeti's. 20, 35, 50, 125. They always amaze me with the quality and how well they work. I've held ice for over 15 days. No issues or complaints from me. Love 'em!
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #5

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilloutWest View Post
Do you place a cloth cover that can be soaked or a light colored foam pad above your cooler? {Impressive service anyway}
I had it on the floor of my 17' rented Avon, buried under the gear pile and out of the direct sun. I pre-froze it in Moenkopi's freezer and put 8 blocks of quality ice in it and nothing else, accessed once or twice in the evenings for adult beverages, and the ice was completely gone on day 7. When I got it home I noticed that when the lid was latched down there was a gap on both front corners that you could stick your pinkie finger in, which meant that the gasket wasn't seating.

The new yeti looks much more precise in its construction. The lid is tight and it only has two latches as opposed to three on my old one.
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #6

Where ever the water is...., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Send a message via AIM to peterholcombe
Want to see a Yeti get punished?

Gear Guy - Yeti Cooler | Outdoor Gear Videos | OutsideOnline.com
peterholcombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #7

Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
ShappAttack seems very hostile these day's. Just finished reading his Rocky Contos bashing. Might need to go outside and soak up some sun or something.
Bigdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #8

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterholcombe View Post
Not to be too picky.

Dropping an empty cooler off a cliff is not realistic.
Kicking an empty or nearly empty cooler off the back of a traveling rig is better.
A half full one with CANNED BEER and some partially melted block ice would be best.

Better than leaving a cooler in a room for days it should be left outside for days enjoying the sun and a range of temps. Looking for any warps a key.

While the hammer pick axe type blows weren't worthy of a timber carnival competitor they were decently impressive. As was the dried out dead LP. It is possible that an impaired woodcutter has done that. Yes with bottled beverages.

maybe like:
Old 01-22-2014   #9

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I like Yeti's marketing videos:

kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014   #10

Redmond, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakfreakus View Post
I like Yeti's marketing videos:
Department of Redundancy Department.

The 45 pound cooler held up well to the Grizz. It wasn't the old BART standard but OK. I suspect that a larger 120 + quart cooler wouldn't have fared so well to a Grizz CPR maneuver. Or a drunk buddy.