WTB: 15 or 16 ft diminishing tube raft - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-08-2018   #1
Owner: Class 5 Carvings

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
WTB: 15 or 16 ft diminishing tube raft

I put this in the swap but maybe it's better as a thread to create a discussion, if anyone has thoughts.

Looking for a diminishing tube 15er or 16er. Would like Hyapalon, which is why I am looking at NRS E-152D and E-162D, but could be convinced on a Aire 156D or 160DD or Marivia Zeypher if the price is right, but have never owned PVC and am hesitant.

Maybe the NRS E161, kinda funky but could be interesting, I like that you can put a longer frame on it. Also, an E160 at a good price or a hyside 16xt could work but both seem really big and wide, not sure I want to go that wide since I still want to use it as a paddle boat at times so those are the last of the options I'd consider.

Sorry, I know I am all over, struggling with what to get. I paddle the poudre and go on multi days, so trying to get the one boat that can do it all. May not exist.

I am interested in a new or slightly used boat, probably something less than 5 years old. I don't want a commercially used boat unless it's a great deal and still in great shape.

Anyway, please let me know what you have if you are trying to sell something in this realm. Thanks. Oh also, I am in Fort Collins, so something in Colorado would be preferred as I don't have many plans to drive anywhere far reaching this year.

Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018   #2

Denver, Colorado
I picked up a Maravia Zephyr last year. The diminished tubes provide a ton more room in the bow/stern and its a bit wider than sum of the NRS/Aires. Mine is 100% an oar rig.
IMO, its too big for a paddle boat in Colorado except for Upper C, Ruby & WW. I ended up buying a mini-max for those days we want to paddle.

I've got the option of keeping my boat inflated all year round on a trailer so getting PVC wasn't a big deal. If you plan on rolling/storing your boat PVC may be a PITA. I've been told that PVC is stiffer and enables the boat to track better but who knows.

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll find a used Maravia around. They usually run 10% off at the end of the year.

Good luck.
leery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018   #3

Fort Collins, Colorado
Ya I have a buddy with one and I like it but have never had PVC so hesitant. I have a mini max as well, so a 15' will only be paddled if water is really high and I need to take a group down, otherwise it will be an oar boat mostly which is making me consider a 16', but I bet I'll use it 2-3 times a year as a paddle boat so kinda think 16' will be too big.

I may have to roll it at times, but it can fit inflated in my garage easily. Still need to buy a trailer.

The maravia's are on sale right now, but they are just a bit out of my price range I think.
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2018   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
First off, a 14' raft is the boat to do it all. If you get a wider 14' it will serve you well as a multiday rig and be able to paddle. I had a 14' RMR and had 3-4 people plus gear on several trips.

I now have a 13' with diminished tubes, its great as a paddle boat and an oar rig, just doesn't have the room of a larger raft. But I plan on getting a 16' soon. But I do not want diminished tubes on a big boat for a couple of reasons. I want a big boat to carry a lot of weight thus I want as much tube as possible, also diminished tubes just look really awkward on a large raft (not sure why I think that).
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treswright3 View Post
First off, a 14' raft is the boat to do it all. If you get a wider 14' it will serve you well as a multiday rig and be able to paddle. I had a 14' RMR and had 3-4 people plus gear on several trips.

I think a 14' would be a bit tight for 4 people plus gear if you didn't pack somewhat conservatively.

..but otherwise, I agree that a 14' boat is the raft to do it all. Not too big to paddle, not too small to multiday.

Quote:
I now have a 13' with diminished tubes, its great as a paddle boat and an oar rig, just doesn't have the room of a larger raft. But I plan on getting a 16' soon. But I do not want diminished tubes on a big boat for a couple of reasons. I want a big boat to carry a lot of weight thus I want as much tube as possible, also diminished tubes just look really awkward on a large raft (not sure why I think that).

Yeah, I have a Trib 13.0. It paddles a bit bigger than many 13's...and is closer in size to a 14' with diminished tubes. Total go-to fun paddle boat.

...and a 15.5' round boat that is a gear pig, but it only sees paddle raft duty when the Lochsa is really big.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Ya I have had 2 14ftrs and want to go a bit bigger really but not totally lose my paddle ability. This will mainly be a trip boat with oars, I would go 16 if I thought I'd never paddle it, but I don't think that's true, I do think I'll paddle it a few times a year, so 15 diminished I think is the answer, a little more nimble than a standard 15, packs like a 16 but can also paddle somewhat like a 14...

Anyway, want something a little bigger than a 14 to be honest.

Anyone have an E-152D they want to sell?
Old 10-21-2018   #7

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Don’t let people talk you out of a diminished tube. Especially for hauling gear. Only the parts of your tubes and floor in the water provide your boat’s flotation. Most diminished tubes are part of the kick and are rarely in a position to aid in flotation (upside down is one of those times when it will).

This is a hotly contested argument here on the Buzz. Like which is better, oarrights or oarlocks. There are several old threads on here about this you can read if you’re interested. People have strong feelings. I side with Archimedes.

One thing that is not debatable is how much more gear you can carry on a boat with diminished tubes.

Conventional boats will keep passengers a lot drier though.

I have a 16 foot Maravia Typhoon that I have paddled. It’s big, but doable. I sure like it for hauling gear though.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
15' is a great size. Quite a bit more room than a 14' but not as wide and barge-like as a 16'. I recently upgraded from a 14' to a 15.5'.
Old 10-23-2018   #9
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I guide NRS 161s on the New and Gauley rivers and have taken one down the Green and Colorado rivers. I think it's an excellent paddle/row combo raft. It rolls small and is pretty light for the size. Worth considering, but I wouldn't paddle it on the Poudre except at high water.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018   #10

Fort Collins, Colorado
Settled on a hyside 16xt, I 've had a lot of hysides, 14, 14xt, and 2 mini-maxs and really have loved them, and guided on hysides long ago, so sticking with them, Brandon has been awesome to work with in the past as well. I did have a E-130 as well as my first boat so nothing against NRS just like hyside I think and since I am not going diminishing tube anymore I can just stick with them. Now I just need to find one, anyone selling a 16xt? Gray or white preferred....