Woodland Power Bottom - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Woodland Power Bottom

Fab'd a stand for a Woodland Power Stove. I call it the Woodland Power Bottom . Provides a larger and more stable base for larger pots. Inspired by a prototype stand from Woodland for two stoves I bought from ReadNRun here.

I think I like it. Super stable. Might add hinges so that the square base can fold in half. I'll use this summer and see how it goes. I also just bought a Partner blaster so I can see which one wins out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200104_134413.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	41491   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200104_134453.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	41493  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200104_134457.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	41495   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200104_134513.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	2.10 MB
ID:	41497  

jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

Eugene, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1996
How heavy is it? I'd love an aluminum one. Nice build!
Voodoo003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Nice setup. Another thing you can do for larger pots is to turn the 3 stove brackets so the "V" points outward. This doesn't solve the stability issue of the smaller base though.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Nice setup. Another thing you can do for larger pots is to turn the 3 stove brackets so the "V" points outward. This doesn't solve the stability issue of the smaller base though.

I was under the impression that the "V"'s pointing out was how it was supposed to be assembled? Hadn't seen it with the "V" pointing in before... But then, I only use the little woodland stove and my blaster for heating water in large containers.

I own both the woodland stove, and the Partner Steel Blaster, here's my take on how they stack up.

First off, they are 2 different stoves, that work well for what they are, just in different situations. The woodland stove uses less propane, and provides less heat than the blaster, they are a little bit quieter, and weigh considerably less than the blaster. It's nice that they fold, but I worry about losing the parts to it, it's sorta a pain to put together at first, but then you learn the tricks. The little doohickey on the chain, well I've never used it, it eventually came off the chain and was lost. The one thing I wasn't too keen on was the soot that accumulated on the bottom of pots and pails when you tried to either simmer, or hit it full blast.

Small (number of people) trips the woodland stove is just fine, I did a 6 person Grand trip this year and it was perfect, I can't see it meeting the needs of a 12 or larger person trip though, that's where the blaster comes in, sucking propane and heating water as fast as it can, need coffee for 50 in 5 minutes, that's where the Blaster shines.

As well, controlling the simmer temps of either stove is iffy, I wouldn't actually try and cook anything on either of them though, I am sure there are those that do, I just prefer the partner steel cook partner for that.

My 2, your mileage may vary
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've cooked on both the Partner Blaster and Woodland power stove. Heck...on a trip where everyone went Solo with their kitchens and food...the woodland was the only stove I brought and it worked great. You just have to cook fast and pay attention. It actually works really well for stuff like stir fry's and similar dishes...it almost acts like a Wok burner. You just have to make sure you move the pot/pan around frequently since both stoves tend to heat up a small area very quickly.

The diffuser chain came off of my woodland too but I just stick it in the bottom of the bag. I've used it a few times...but rarely. The soot gets even worse with it in...which is kind of a bummer. It definitely spreads out the heat...but almost too much. The rest of the woodland system is all integrated...so I'd find it hard to loose any other part then the diffuser.

The base looks nice...but even with heavy chic pails or a large pot of water I've never had a problem keeping the Woodland stable. I guess its kind hard to get stuff centered on the triangle sometimes...but I've never had a tip over because of it.

I like the stove stands I've seen from others that raise the stove up so you don't have to bend over to use it though.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I've cooked on both the Partner Blaster and Woodland power stove. Heck...on a trip where everyone went Solo with their kitchens and food...the woodland was the only stove I brought and it worked great. You just have to cook fast and pay attention. It actually works really well for stuff like stir fry's and similar dishes...it almost acts like a Wok burner. You just have to make sure you move the pot/pan around frequently since both stoves tend to heat up a small area very quickly.

The diffuser chain came off of my woodland too but I just stick it in the bottom of the bag. I've used it a few times...but rarely. The soot gets even worse with it in...which is kind of a bummer. It definitely spreads out the heat...but almost too much. The rest of the woodland system is all integrated...so I'd find it hard to loose any other part then the diffuser.

The base looks nice...but even with heavy chic pails or a large pot of water I've never had a problem keeping the Woodland stable. I guess its kind hard to get stuff centered on the triangle sometimes...but I've never had a tip over because of it.

I like the stove stands I've seen from others that raise the stove up so you don't have to bend over to use it though.

Yep, I should have added that I haven't had an issue with stability either, sometimes in sand, you need to put a rock under the legs or something though, had toyed with a sheet of .125 AL but it just seemed overkill, and one more thing to carry
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #7

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
On the Powerstove turn "V" in for small pots and out for large pots.

I like the versatility of folding in the legs and using it as a flame thrower to light charcoal or driftwood in a firepan especially if the driftwood is wet from rain(think May-June in Idaho).

I replaced the regulator on the Powerstove with micro pet cocks. Use two for better control. Caution is advised if you do this. Takes some getting used to. Suggest everyone step back and put duct tape over your eyebrows and mustaches until mastered. With pet cocks or upgraded regulator it can produce a scary amount of BTU's. More than practically needed. BTW, there was a period of time when some of the regulators that came with the stove were faulty. About 2005 or 2006 as I recall.

I have the Woodland single stove stand and love it. It is stainless steel and is not light, almost too heavy. It has adjustable length legs in 1" increments. If made out of aluminum it would certainly not be as durable or blaster flame compatible. Setting up the stand takes practice but it is labeled with letters to help simplify the task. Without the labels you'd usually end up with a ridiculous contortion of metal or you'd throw it in the river in frustration.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #8

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
BTW, Nice work Jeffro!

And BTW, if you can't make that Woodland bounce on the ground from flame recoil consider upgrading the regulator. Regulators come rated in BTU potential and in much higher quality then OEM. Just saying.
GeoRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #9

7lbs 3oz. So you're not exactly gonna backpack with the thing. Likely overkill and solving a problem that does not exist. But I like overkill. And solvinng problems that don't exist.

I also do a wilderness fried turkey for thanksgiving and am trying to figure out a more packable setup for that. Frying turkeys is taking your life in your hands at home, let alone in the wilds so it needs to be stable.
jeffro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #10

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
another nice thing about the woodland power stove is the V's are oriented in such a way that the legs of a 12 inch Dutch actually lock into the stove.. I looked for a long time for the stand for mine but i think they stopped making it. That might be a winter project..

Speaking of legs and stoves here are some pictures of a set of aluminum legs i built for my camp chef mountaineer. they make legs for it but are too short to be useful.
Attached Images

codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote