Winter storage - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-01-2016   #1

Philippi, West Virginia
Winter storage

Hey guys I just got a new 13ft rmr with the dropstich floor and a dre frame. I've used it all summer and fall, but now since winter has came what is the best way to store these things? Do you deflate them all the way or just alittle, or just leave it completely aired up. Thank you in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Mitchboyce493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016   #2

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
In order of most desirable to least:

1. If you have the space in a heated garage to leave it inflated, but bled soft, that's the best. Keep off of concrete, if possible, for moisture issues. If garage is unheated, that's OK, too.

2. Roll it and store it inside or in a garage.

3. Inflated, covered, on a trailer (off the ground) outside. Only really a good option if you have a decent cover.

4. Rolled, tarped, outside. This option would be a last resort.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Mine is stored inflated, on a trailer, with 2 heavy duty tarps over it, in my side yard here in the Salt Lake valley. I have no indoor space to keep it inflated, and I don't like to store my raft rolled/folded for long periods of time if I can help it. Been doing it this way for two winters with no issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2016   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
In order of most desirable to least:

1. If you have the space in a heated garage to leave it inflated, but bled soft, that's the best. Keep off of concrete, if possible, for moisture issues. If garage is unheated, that's OK, too.

2. Roll it and store it inside or in a garage.

3. Inflated, covered, on a trailer (off the ground) outside. Only really a good option if you have a decent cover.

4. Rolled, tarped, outside. This option would be a last resort.
You missed the very most desirable option.

If someone else has the space in a heated garage to leave it inflated, but bled soft, that's the best. Keep off of concrete, if possible, for moisture issues. If garage is unheated, that's OK, too.
Old 12-01-2016   #5

Philippi, West Virginia
Lol yea I like the idea in someone else's garage. I do have a garage with enough room but it's not heated. I plan on leaving it on the trailer with a tarp over it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Mitchboyce493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
I've stored my hyside loosely rolled up in a garage for 15 years with absolutely no issues at all. Inflated is the best if you have the space.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Ha! Bighorn, I like it. I'm surprised I didn't think of that detail, especially considering that my rig's been at someone else's house for the last 2 years!!
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #8

Willi..., Willimina, OR
Paddling Since: 68
Hey guys I just got a new 13ft er with the dropstich floor and a frame. I've used it all summer and fall, but now since winter has came what is the best way to store these things? Do you deflate them all the way or just a little, or just leave it completely inflated.

Loose rolled and garage cold storage is fine. It's the sun the material doesn't like. The material is relatively inert at cold temp. Heat accelerates the entropy.

If there are squirrels in the neighborhood, one could consider peanut butter coating the boat. However, that would be cruel to the squirrel.
Old 12-03-2016   #9

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
A picture is worth a thousand words
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016   #10
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
The little bastards will do it to, I've seen chipmunks just going to town eating there dead buddies, squirreles chummed in with nuts and then spray painted to look like Skunks. Ever seen a skunk squirrel? Pretty messed up right there.

( If you try it and get plague i will laugh, so don't).