WINGS Inflatables Cataraft assembly advice - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #1

WINGS Inflatables Cataraft assembly advice

Hello!
I am a complete neophyte when it comes to rafting and rafting gear but have recently been tasked with assembling a WINGS Inflatable cataraft (frame provenance unknown) that my employer had stashed in a storage unit. With much trial and error, I've managed to work out the general logic of assembling the basic frame but have some pieces left that continue to mystify. I'm hoping someone can here can offer some insights. I'd also be interested in hearing what folks think it may all be worth. Pictures below. There is a large gear box and plywood floor, not pictured.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1789.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	41723   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1790.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	41725  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1791.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	2.53 MB
ID:	41727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1792.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	41729  

Ldibiccari is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
you have some non typical pieces there. It almost looks like who ever owns it had it set up to also work as a cart. Does you boss not know how it goes together?
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #3

No one at the organization has ever seen it assembled. It was donated to us many years ago but was likely used for aquatic bird surveys in its former life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #4

Defiance, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Where are you located? Perhaps somebody here could come help in person. The good news is that the stuff you cant figure out is all unnecessary add on equipment.
noahfecks is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Weeks Ago   #5

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
I can see the two fore and aft fittings rotating down to receive the wheels so the boat could be rolled down a paved ramp to the water.

It looks like the mesh seat would go on the bar with the collars on it with the two fittings moving in hold one end but don't see marks on the tube where the other fittings slould be. Maybe one of the other cross bars has fittings that look like they have the proper spacing? Could be the cross bars are switched.

Maybe you are also missing a couple of fittings.

There is one short down tube missing, pretty easy to see where it should be.

The curved piece would mount up front, looks like it held some piece of equipment. As the other poster stated if you are going to use is as a normal raft none of the extra equipment is necessary.
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #6

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
The DRE captains chair hooks into the two fittings that are one crossbar in front of the NRS seat...which is backwards. Rower would sit in the DRE chair, passenger in the NRS seat. As someone else noted, there is a missing vertical bar right under the DRE chair fittings on one side. I think others are closer to what the mystery fittings are than my ideas were.
Grifgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Weeks Ago   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
The piece pictured in the bottom left photo is a motor mount that goes on the back of the frame. The bent part of the plate goes over the back bar on the frame and the piece of pipe it is currently attached to, attaches to the drop bars. The piece of pipe pictured next to the captain's seat is a rear seat mount. A standard swivel seat will attach to the plate. The cross fitting would attach to the same rear bar as the motor mount and the pipe would fit into the cross fitting on the pipe attached to the motor mount. We do sell replacement blue mesh seat covers. Give us a call with any questions.
Down River Equipment is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Hours Ago   #8

Thank you to everyone who weighed in on our catarafts mystery parts! I greatly appreciate your help.

Does anyone know how much I should seek to sell it for? The tubes are 15'10" long (measured along the top) and the diameter is approximately 2'. The frame is 10'3" by 5'6".
Unread 5 Hours Ago   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ldibiccari View Post
Thank you to everyone who weighed in on our catarafts mystery parts! I greatly appreciate your help.

Does anyone know how much I should seek to sell it for? The tubes are 15'10" long (measured along the top) and the diameter is approximately 2'. The frame is 10'3" by 5'6".
I'm not sure what its worth but it will depend on what accessories you have to go with it,are there any oars, straps, coolers, dry boxes, mesh bags etc to go with it?
Fly By Night is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Hours Ago   #10

There is a large gear box that appears to go with it (I know it's packed with gear but don't recall what so I'd need to check again), two sets of oars, and everything in the photos I posted with the original query but no straps that I've found.

Tags
advice, cataraft, frame