Mountain Buzz banner

Windproof 6 person tents

6K views 35 replies 17 participants last post by  GeoRon 
#1 ·
I have a Sierra Designs Meteor Light 6 tent, which is great until a wind storm. I'm looking for recommendations on 5-6 person tents that are bombproof in the wind and have vents/bugscreen that can be zipped up to prevent sand being blown inside the tent, but has good airflow on the hot nights. A family on our trip had a great tent that fit that criteria and survived the wind easily, but it's no longer made.

#2 ·
We have an old Casa Verde by Armadillo that has been through several heavy windstorms on Desolation with flying colors. It is not available anymore, unfortunately. I just got a Kingdom 6 but have not put it through the ringer yet. It seems pretty sturdy but not as bomber as the Casa Verde. Maybe someone could chime in on it. It may need some tie downs for really heavy wind.

#3 ·
https://bit.ly/33ylHNt

Built considerably better than most crap MSR sells, but the price is a little off putting.

Might be a better choice https://bit.ly/2OPJWnd , but the website says out of stock...

Or you could find a couple used North Face VE25 tents, they say 3 person, but I've put 4 in one, cozy but not too close. They don't make them anymore, but it sure is a bomber setup.

This might work cause of the cavernous vestibule, could damn near park a car in it...
https://bit.ly/2KGZKU8

#4 ·
I have 2 VE-25's. Yes they are great in wind, but cozy with with my wife and 2 kids (11 &14) is an understatement. No room for gear/clothes at that point, They're also $$$. Great for winter camping thoughhttps://usatunofficial.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/ve_25.jpg?w=1000

My Cabela's Alaskan Guide 8 man model is bomber in the wind, you just need to guy it out well. Good airflow, though not great, nor lightweight. I should have bought the aluminum poles for it. I even has the extended vestibule as seen in the photo for gear storage, but you'd better plan on being someplace or at least 3 days if you put this tent up. It's also $$$ http://sites.onlinemac.com/rspofford/tent_1.jpg

We just bought the REI Grand Hut 4. Great airflow. It fits 2 cots and gear comfortably, and the kids now stay in their own tent. It held up fine in 20-30mph Utah spring winds when guyed out properly. Amazing airflow and headroom.

that's my .02

#11 ·
On the OP’s question. I don’t think there is really anything that will actually keep out the sand. In my experiences, even a quality tent just filters it out to the really fine stuff that chokes you and drives ya mad.
A friend of mine claims that he found the solution, he started just leaving the door OPEN, when it was really bad, said that instead of causing a wind eddy and deposition point, that sand would just blow though and Cary on its merry way, and that edge of fabric that sticks up above the bottom of the door, gave just enough of a block to keep it out of there face.
Don’t know, never tried it yet, if it’s really bad, and the girl isn’t with me, I go sleep on my boat, always seems like the sleeping is better out there, unless Dewey, cold, or raining.

Might check out Seek outside, as well, in your search for a new tent. All there stuff is out of the norm, and there tipi tents stand up well to the wind if you do a good job setting them up.

#12 ·
I have a Ti-goat tipi tent, it's badass. It spent a week in 30 mph sustained winds with gusts up to 50. Rock solid, love it and wouldn't trade it for anything. I've had it in snow, wind, rain, it's really amazing. Weighs 5 lbs and I use an oar for the center pole. sleeps 6 and you can stand in it. put a wood stove in it, sit in camp chairs and play cards.... the only drawback is it has an open floor, so dogs can get out and things can get in. I bought a nest from seek outside that allows the GF to keep her dogs in and bugs out of half of it.

It set's up fast 5 stakes and one pole if wind is not a concern, if so I end up putting in 15 stakes (for the high winds).

#13 ·
I have, and have used extensively, the REI Kingdom 6 tent. I've lived out of it for a month straight, used it in the Oregon rainy season with many many downpours, and been through several significant wind storms in it. Never had any problems. That is without ever using the guy lines (which don't come included with it, by the way). They are well built and very roomy. You can partition it off to two rooms, and add a garage if you like. The carry bag has backpack straps making it very easy to haul around. There are several setup configurations as well, so that makes it pretty versatile. I have not used it in the sand though, so unfortunately, I can't speak to that. Good luck with your search.

#23 ·
In all the years I've setup a 4 person tent I've wondered what it would be like to have to find space for a 6 person tent. What is it like finding a footprint large enough for a 6 person tent on typical rivers? Just curious.

The REI Kingdome and Grand Hut are barely self-supporting and that is pushing it. In bike ride overnight tent cities, hundreds of tents more or less?, they clearly do not do as well in the wind when tested. That is a good place to see how various tents do when set up in ideal identical conditions(football field, soccer field or city park) when hit by a micro-burst or typical thunderstorm.

The REI Base Camp 4 does extremely well in the wind and I assume 6 does also. It is a geodesic dome self-supporting enough to pick up and move around by one person if necessary. I've owned 3 vintages of the Base Camp 4 and swear by them. What I really love about the BC4 is dual large identical entry. The older version provided better ventilation but the newer version provides better privacy when not using the fly. The privacy provided taller unscreened-mesh walls hence less drifting sand exposure. I'd like a hybrid version, full zip closer of tall mesh walls and screw the concern of the extra two pounds and cost.

I like the looks of that Flying Diamond Six except that the extension is more living space required to satisfy the "6" capacity I think. I like the vestibule on the Base Camp 4(or 6) because it is a "garage" exterior to the tent that I store bikes, coolers, other items out of the rain or out of sight. I like the looks of the Cabela's Idriver also.

I own North Face VE-24's and VE-25's. Other than being bomb proof they do not ventilate well(damn hot in summer and condensation sucks) and are too short to even get close to standing up in. They are my forth season(winter) tents for skiing across Yellowstone or winter ascents. My significant other has a Bibler single wall tent that cuts into even using the VE-24 in winter.

BTW, as a geologist and boy scout I've been in man(boy) camps with canvas tents. They had their day and they sucked. As a boy scout they tested my man-hood to early. As a geologist I can remember working on field notes and maps and logging samples in Alaska knowing that certain areas are no go(leaked like sieves). I don't consider them mobile or pleasant or dry. Ah, mobile they are not! Wind resistant, maybe when set up as a permanent camp. I personally would not own one but that is me based on, let's say, too much experience.

#24 ·
In all the years I've setup a 4 person tent I've wondered what it would be like to have to find space for a 6 person tent. What is it like finding a footprint large enough for a 6 person tent on typical rivers? Just curious.
Surprisingly not that bad. I’ve been able to set up my 8 person Seek Outside hot tent, at just about every campsite that I have needed it, granted I use it as a group shelter for foul weather, and when it’s bad out, people are more than happy to use part of the kitchen area for it.

Just ordered the one person Silex from Seek Outside, it’s basically a fly that sets up with trekking poles, and has NO zippers. Weighs in at 17 ounces, and packs down small.
Going to add a couple of Lo Pros to my frame, for a set of backcountry poles I own, and 4 carabeeners to clip the corners to, for setting it up on my raft.
Will report back on the “sleeping on your raft” thread, to let people know how well it works.
Pretty stoked on getting rid of the damn zippers, though, it’s always what fails on your tent, and always happens when it’s cold and raining side ways...

#26 ·
It is the REI tent in two flavors; either a 4 person or 6 person tent with vestibule on either side depending on how you pitch the fly.

It is a true geodesic hence self supporting and semi bomb proof. I can't think of how it might fail as a "perfect tent" except for personal particulars of ventilation and privacy but that is up to you to explore.

#29 ·
Skitterbug,

You must be mistaking when reviewing the BC6 with another tent.

I followed all of the reviews I could readily find for popular 6 person tents and the BC6 is the top wind performer in all reviews. Other tents, Kingdom 6, got stronger reviews but they pointed out that it is not the top choice for wind and the BC6 was.

#31 ·
We have the big agnes flying diamond. It is not as sturdy as I was hoping it would be based on the design. I wish the poles and material were a little heavier duty than they are. Just my 2 cents. Has a great fly and design though. We have gone to 2 tents for our family. The kids have learned to choose their own tent site, set up and take it down and pack it in a dry bag etc.

If i were doing it all over again I would do the REI tent

#34 ·
I recently purchased the new tent from roll a cot.

good price and quality looks great.

I used it on a multi night camp out at Cascade Campground, 9000 or so feet high at Buena Vista CO. Tree bending wind, lightning like crazy and wind driven rain all night and multiple days storms. Not a drop inside and tent solid from wind and rain. Roll a Cots fit inside just perfect and I had the front awning poles at an angle and no rain came in the door.

No connection to camp time just used their cots and tables for decades.

https://www.camptime.com/collections/camp-specialties-branded-products-from-around-the-world

#35 ·
I recently purchased the new tent from roll a cot.

good price and quality looks great.

I used it on a multi night camp out at Cascade Campground, 9000 or so feet high at Buena Vista CO. Tree bending wind, lightning like crazy and wind driven rain all night and multiple days storms. Not a drop inside and tent solid from wind and rain. Roll a Cots fit inside just perfect and I had the front awning poles at an angle and no rain came in the door.

No connection to camp time just used their cots and tables for decades.

https://www.camptime.com/collections/camp-specialties-branded-products-from-around-the-world

#36 ·
Very well but you are ignoring the rest of the reviews on REI.com and the reviews on the various outdoor websites.

I do not own the current version but have owned three BC4s so I strongly question the bad reviews you cherry picked out of the 30 reviews on the website. Most of the rest were glowing recommendations.

You will be making your choices. Have you been into REI to see one. Buy one, set it up and take it back if you have doubts. You live in Vancouver and likely have an REI down the street. So what do you have to loose. Heck, buy both the Big Agnes Diamond 6 and the Base Camp 6. Set them up side by side and take the one back you don't like to any store near you. You'll have one or both off your credit card before your next CC bill gets paid.

Anyway, I don't have any skin in the game so good luck and would love to know what you buy.

REI return policy
We stand behind everything we sell. If you’re not satisfied with your REI purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund within one year of purchase, except for outdoor electronics, which must be returned within 90 days of purchase. Outdoor electronics include activity monitors, GPS-enabled devices, bike trainers, emergency-communication devices, and cameras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.