Whitewater on the Aire Lion 14?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-25-2013   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Whitewater on the Aire Lion 14??

I need new tubes. After a lot of consideration I really want a set of Lion 14 tubes. 70 percent of what I do is fishing and the occasional extended trip, but I love to go play on the weekends on the Lochsaw, Blackfoot etc. Although the Lion is a gear boat, the 14 has a pretty short waterline and the oversized tubes should keep it shallow so it seems like it may not work too bad as play boat when running light. Does anyone have experience playing with a Lion? I would especially like to see some vids/pics if anyone has any. Thanks for your help.

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013   #2

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Does anyone have experience playing with a Lion?
I love that question!
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #3

NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
The 14' Lion does everything well, had the pleasure of rowing one down the Salt...that being said do you need the floatation of the Lion? Or could you get away with the Aire Ocelot also a 14' but with 22" diameter tubes. The Lion is good for two up for a week trip with a moderate amount of gear, the Ocelot does the same thing but maybe with one person and a moderate amount of gear.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2013   #4

Leavenworth, Washington
Paddling Since: 1994
I concur on the Ocelot. I have one and can carry my share of group gear for a week long trip. It is overloaded with two people for a week trip.
GBWW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013   #5

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've run a ton of different rivers from Gore to the grand. Love that I can say boat on clear creek or haul enough gear for a 21 day trip.
davecosnowboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013   #6

Good all around boat.

I have a 14' Lion and love it. It has taken me down Lodore, Cat, The Main, 45 Ranch to Rome on the upper Owyhee, Cross Mt.,The Salt, The Alpine section of The Snake. Fished the Green near Pinedale, the town of Green Green river and below Flaming Gorge Dam.
I have hauled the kitchen and other group gear, had no gear for one day floats. I ussally do not have a passenger with me when on the higher class of rapids, but have only not had passenger three of nine trips through Lodore. I love the Lion as a great all around cat.
So far no legitimate complaints about the Lion.
dport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013   #7

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2009
I have the NRS equivalent and they're super fun on stuff like the lochsa, the gorge, etc. I like the larger diameter for big trips and it doesn't seem to hurt the play factor when I'm not carrying a load.
catflipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013   #8

Great Falls, Montana
Thankyou all for your help. I like it, but the Ocelot is too much of a playboat for my use. I frequent 2 to 3 other people on my boat for day trips and I hope to get good enough to get invited or permitted to do some week trips with two people and gear. I was going back and forth between the Jaguarundi and the Lion 14. I've heard that the Jaguarundi can be tricky to load so if the Lion will play, that is the boat for me. Thanks again for all of your help.
Old 07-30-2013   #9

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Thankyou all for your help. I like it, but the Ocelot is too much of a playboat for my use. I frequent 2 to 3 other people on my boat for day trips and I hope to get good enough to get invited or permitted to do some week trips with two people and gear. I was going back and forth between the Jaguarundi and the Lion 14. I've heard that the Jaguarundi can be tricky to load so if the Lion will play, that is the boat for me. Thanks again for all of your help.
See if you can find a Sotar legend with some fat oversized tubes
Old 07-31-2013   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
See if you can find a Sotar legend with some fat oversized tubes
I really like Sotar and Maravia, but I've only been on one big trip (as a passenger) and on that trip two boats were punctured by the same rock. One of the boats took 24 hours to repair while the Aire was back in the water within an hour due to the inner bladder. That sold me on Aire. I'm an accident prone amateur so I think it would be a good idea to be easily repairable.

Tags
aire