Whitewater helmet for big heads - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-20-2015   #1

Boise, Idaho
Whitewater helmet for big heads

Hey all

My friend has a huge noggin and needs to upgrade from his bicycle helmet but can't find one that fits. I too have been wanting to upgrade from my WRSI and was looking at the Sweet Rocker but both that one and the wanderer are too small and pinch my forehead badly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015   #2

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
Hey all

My friend has a huge noggin and needs to upgrade from his bicycle helmet but can't find one that fits. I too have been wanting to upgrade from my WRSI and was looking at the Sweet Rocker but both that one and the wanderer are too small and pinch my forehead badly. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thank you
I have a large head (7 1/2 to 7 5/8 hat size) and the Sweet Strutter in L/Xl fits nice. Not everyone wants a bill though.
SteamboatBORN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Ski Helmet Xxl

My helmet size is 7 7/8 or xxl.

I have been using the European Ski helmets for many years. I find them to be superior to most USA WW helmets due to the requirements European Helmets meet.

I have a Leedom and Boeri size xxl helmets and am really pleased with them and how they have held up. Good padding and warm.

The link above gives you a idea, just duckduckgo ski helmets size xxl and you will get a bunch.

I have emails WRSI several times asking for size xxl in their helmets. Answer I get is not enough demand to cover production costs.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
Ski Helmet Xxl

My helmet size is 7 7/8 or xxl.

I have been using the European Ski helmets for many years. I find them to be superior to most USA WW helmets due to the requirements European Helmets meet.

I have a Leedom and Boeri size xxl helmets and am really pleased with them and how they have held up. Good padding and warm.

The link above gives you a idea, just duckduckgo ski helmets size xxl and you will get a bunch.

I have emails WRSI several times asking for size xxl in their helmets. Answer I get is not enough demand to cover production costs.
I have had same issue with custom skis, the ski I want is not normal so to produce would have to do a one off press for me. Head size is kinda tough one cause you can not shrink head.

Curious how ski helmets do in water? I have been told water can ruin a ski helmet.
Old 05-20-2015   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Cannot speak for all ski helmet brands but the two that I have the Leedom and Boeri have been bomber for many years and a lot of use. Lots of scratches but zero cracks on the helmet itself and padding still intact like new. One chin strap started fuzzing (is this a word?} up on the end that goes into the buckle and I replaced it. Pretty easy to do. Doubt if the protection was ever compromised, I just did the replacement for looks. Europe has a spec for ski helmets that is similar (from what I have read) to US motorcycle helmets. If there is a US spec for WW helmets, I have not seen it. I have seen what in my opinion is marginal padding on a lot of US WW helmets.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015   #6

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Discussed before. I suggest the Predator Lee

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ead-42177.html
Old 05-21-2015   #7

Groveland, California
Gath Gedi makes watersport helmets for massive heads. I ordered an XXL from Murray's a while back, they shipped an XXXL and my head (7 7/ just floated around in it. Their inventory was wrong, they didn't stock the XXL so I couldn't exchange it. Build quality seemed good.

I have been using the Lee Predator 8 and holding out for the WRSI but it doesn't appear that will ever become available.

Good luck with the search,
Guy
Whitewater Machine Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015   #8

I thought I had a big head! Monster noggins out there.
Old 05-21-2015   #9

Canmore, People's Republic of Alberta
Paddling Since: 1982
I bought an XXL Gath (?) can't find anything else big enough except for ski helmets. No review yet since I haven't tried it out.

Which probably means I should go kayaking this weekend and test it!
Bruce from Canmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015   #10

Boise, Idaho
My friend just ordered a gath, hopefully it fits. Is it a lot sturdier than the wrsi? Or are shell, impact resistance and build quality roughly the same?
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote