Which size Watershed for day bag?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-18-2019   #1

California, USA
Which size Watershed for day bag??

I invested in the Watershed Colorado last year and I’m ready to switch over for a day bag. Doesn’t need to fit anything huge... sunscreen, a snack, book, some other random things, and maybe even my toiletries. Plus a small splash jacket if it’s a cold trip, but that’s not necessary as we usually carry a warm clothes bag. Essentially I’d like to fit everything I carry in the ammo. I have many friends who use them this way, but I can’t remember which size they have I’m having trouble judging online. What would you recommend? Ocoee or Chattanooga? Many thanks!!

RaisedOnARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019   #2

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Ocoee for just what you listed. similar volume to an ammo can or small drybag.

Chattooga if you want more space than that (but a bigger bag that won't stuff in as many places)
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019   #3

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I roll with a Chattooga for my splash gear, rain jacket extra hat, etc and a Pelican 1300 for all my other stuff, sunglasses, sunscreen, pliers, knife, headlamp etc.
Riverwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2019   #4

Denver, Colorado
What are you going to do with the Colorado bag? I’d like first dibs please!
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019   #5

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I have the Chatooga as well and it seems to work well for what I need. Mostly use it for extra clothes in case the weather changes and for dry clothes after the run. Toss in some snacks or something too. I'm mostly a rafter these days so I haven't had a problem fitting it but i could see how that could be a problem in a kayak so maybe go with the Ocoee if you are worried.

I agree with Riverwild...having the combo of a Watershed for clothes and soft goods and a small/medium Pelican for keys, phone, wallet and sunscreen type stuff. The watershed is kind of a pain to get into and pack back up...so easy access with the flip of a couple of latches. in a Pelican is nice. Just gotta be careful when you open it.
Electric-Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019   #6

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The Ocoee is like 2.5 gallons in capacity.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019   #7

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
Keep the ammo can!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaisedOnARiver View Post
I invested in the Watershed Colorado last year and I€™m ready to switch over for a day bag. Doesn€™t need to fit anything huge... sunscreen, a snack, book, some other random things, and maybe even my toiletries. Plus a small splash jacket if it€™s a cold trip, but that€™s not necessary as we usually carry a warm clothes bag. Essentially I€™d like to fit everything I carry in the ammo. I have many friends who use them this way, but I can€™t remember which size they have I€™m having trouble judging online. What would you recommend? Ocoee or Chattanooga? Many thanks!!
The iconic ammo can is a long time standard and it works. They are indestructible last for ever. I have had the same one for 47 years, to carry my personal items rafting, hunting trips and now days car camping, it's always in my tent, next to me. I even stop a Ford F150 standard shift, left in neutral that started to roll down hill, grabbed my man purse ammo can and slid it under the back tire to stop it( one of those oh shit moments). These are the items I usually carry, now day. It has changed a little bit over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190718_193633.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.83 MB
ID:	37493  
raymo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #8

Golden, Colorado
Another one for the Chatooga.

And with that said agree that they are pain in the ass for use as a day bag. I wish it was the same design but with a Ortlieb type zipper on top.

NRS has a 35l dry duffle with a zipper top I’m thinking of picking up but yet to pull the trigger as a day bag replacement to the Chatooga.

Ortlieb was a one and done purchase for me. They don’t impress me at all. Other than the zipper, their designs and materials suck. they do have smaller zipper duffels though as another option.
griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #9

FOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 91
Another vote Chatooga and Pelican, its the best way. Always better to have a little to much room then not enough.
Critter70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #10
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I have a Mississippi and use it for either clothes for the whole family = everyone gets a stuff sack and they all go in there or sleeping gear = stuff that I definitely want to stay dry. Everything else goes in various bags, cans and boxes.

Tags
bag