What size of Cat? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2013   #1
 
Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 48
What size of Cat?

(preface: I have spent the last couple of day going back through old threads getting information and now I have information overload.)

(Rafting info - typical rivers: middle and north forks of flathead, smith, main salmon, mfs and lower, snake, john day. trip types: 10-15 single day trips (usually wife and I and maybe another person) and 2 or 3 multi-days with 2+other boats)

I am considering selling my 156E raft and purchasing a cat. Looking for quick answer on what size of cat and brand and what type of frame? (example: you should buy XXXX cat because they are bullet proof or manueverable with gear load, etc). Thanks to everyone in advance.

backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2013   #2
 
lhowemt's Avatar
 
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 4,606
Get a sotar st 16' or an aire jag 16'. It will carry a bit less than the raft but an 18' cat will be awfully big for the mf flathead and smith. Leopards are good 18' cats and more maneuverable than the lions. 18' sotar rocks too, a friend caught a surf on one in the grand canyon even though it was pig loaded. Lots of good big gear cats, you really can't go wrong with those two brands, plus maravia, jacks, etc. nrs will be the least maneuverable big cat. I expect this thread is going to make your head spin even more!
__________________
Living in Montana, boating in Idaho
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #3
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
I'll add the Maravia 16 X 24 to the recommendations above. Bomber construction & 10 year warranty. If you were looking for a 14 X 24, I have a great set of tubes I'm selling, but maybe too small for want you want? Three people on a 14 footer would be tight.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-07-2013   #4
 
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 1,158
I'm looking at 14x24 for those same rivers you mentioned but I run solo most of the time in the spring run off. So I'd say go with the 16'. You will be trading off the advantage of a smaller boat for times when the river gets thin but gaining the larger capacity for running 3 up and hauling a bit more gear for the longer trips. I would not even try to overnight with 3 off a 14' unless you were going completely backpacker style. Not to say it can't/ hasn't been done but I enjoy ice cold beverages too much. You and your lady on a 14' would not be bad but a 14' cat is like a 12' raft. I like catgirls 14' Maravia tubes but sotar or aire are also good proven designs made in the USA with good warrantees. If you want the capacity of your current boat, you'll want the 16' tubes. Happy floating,
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #5
 
SMCanyon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Get a sotar st 16' or an aire jag 16'. It will carry a bit less than the raft but an 18' cat will be awfully big for the mf flathead and smith. Leopards are good 18' cats and more maneuverable than the lions. 18' sotar rocks too, a friend caught a surf on one in the grand canyon even though it was pig loaded. Lots of good big gear cats, you really can't go wrong with those two brands, plus maravia, jacks, etc. nrs will be the least maneuverable big cat. I expect this thread is going to make your head spin even more!
Get the Sotar ST. Have them make it to 16' w/25" tubes - both free options. You may want to reinforce the bottom of the tubes w/any of the options such as floor wrap, coating, etc. The bottom of my tubes have taken a bit of a beating from low water MFS trips. Tubes have a couple of deep scrapes going into the fabric which I vynabonded to prevent air leakage. Maybe could've avoided that with coating or floor wrap.
Recently did the GC with my 16' St/25" tubes and had a blast - 2 of us carried our fair share of group gear and still had good draft. 1st time I had run big water in it and the performance was great. It also works great as fishing craft for 3 peeps.
kb52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #6
 
DRL River Gypsies's Avatar
 
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 63
For 16' cats, I'd say Aire Jag or Sotar ST tubes or Maravia's 16x24 also. That's if you're aware of your gear load. If you want a little more capacity then I'd say the 16' Aire Lion. Keep in mind no matter which cat you go with you're going to be about half the capacity of your 156E once it's ready to be loaded. Big cat frames are 2-3 times heavier than a raft frame. If you want to downsize, but capacity is an issue, I'd seriously consider a 14' Sotar or Aire raft. Just my $.02
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #7
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,191
go big or go home
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #8
 
Avatard's Avatar
 
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwardsraft View Post
(preface: I have spent the last couple of day going back through old threads getting information and now I have information overload.)

(Rafting info - typical rivers: middle and north forks of flathead, smith, main salmon, mfs and lower, snake, john day. trip types: 10-15 single day trips (usually wife and I and maybe another person) and 2 or 3 multi-days with 2+other boats)

I am considering selling my 156E raft and purchasing a cat. Looking for quick answer on what size of cat and brand and what type of frame? (example: you should buy XXXX cat because they are bullet proof or manueverable with gear load, etc). Thanks to everyone in advance.
I've got a leopard 18 with 12' frame and its nice to be able to spread out all the gear. keep in mind you will not be able to put much more gear on it than your 156E raft, weight wise. So as long as you are going with drop bags, barney bags, and light weight dryboxes you can get a pretty clean setup. Oh and get a trailer so you don't have to haul your cat disassembled they are a bitch to setup and break down.
__________________
________________________________________
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #9
 
cataraftgirl's Avatar
 
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I'm looking at 14x24 for those same rivers you mentioned but I run solo most of the time in the spring run off. ,
These beautiful teal cat tubes are still waiting for you spider. $200 price drop. They want to go live in Montana.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #10
swimming
 
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 162
14' Sotar or Aire raft. Just my $.02[/QUOTE]
@DRL
I was looking through craigs ads and I noticed you have a yard full of those, you must be collecting them.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Best Cat Size for MT - Missoula and Surrounding RiverCowboy Whitewater Kayaking 29 03-13-2013 10:50 PM
Main Salmon Cat size randyk Kayaking | Gear Talk 49 04-04-2012 02:48 PM
Size matters? (Cat tubes) Bornwithatail Whitewater Kayaking 3 02-08-2012 12:01 AM
Cat Tubes,What Size Villainista Kayaking | Gear Talk 19 10-08-2011 01:14 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.