What size cooler do you have on your 16 raft? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-25-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
What size cooler do you have on your 16 raft?

I've got a 16 ft NRS raft with 47" between the tubes. A Yeti Tundra 160 (150 qt) fits the space well, but I only need that size maybe once a year for our longer float trips. For long weekend use and for car camping it would be overkill (plus crazy expensive). The Canyon Cooler Prospector 103 (103 qt) seems to be better suited for rafting (long and low, frame rail tie-down points, easy to access drain location, sits on rails, nice basket layout). That size would be more suited for long weekends and car-camping, but is it big enough for week-long desert float trips?

What size coolers do you have on your 16 foot boat? How long have you gone out for with that size?

Anyone know of any coolers that are long and low like the Prospector rather than short and tall like all the rest?

Anyone know if RTIC is going to be making larger sizes any time soon?

blutzski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Save yourself $300. A Rubbermaid Gott 102 will do overnighters or easy 2 nighters no problem. 102 Qt Gottâ„¢ Marine Cooler | Rubbermaid
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I own a Canyon Cooler Sailor 105 that I use on my 14 footer. It's my cooler for weeklong trips. I'm usually with a group of at least 2-3 other rafts, so the 105 works well. If I didn't already own my 105, I'd be all over that 103 Prospector. I wish other coolers came in the long/low design. The cross bar tie down slots look super nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2016   #4

Golden, Colorado
What size cooler do you have on your 16 raft?

Sorry, Wabashabi, I should have clarified. We do a week-long float trip once a year. I'm sure150 qt is nice to have on week long trips but is overkill the rest of the time. 100 qt seems a good size for 90% of our needs. Do people have huge, expensive coolers they use only occasionally? Or do you make do with smaller coolers (100 qt) on long trips (5-7 days)?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 05-25-2016   #5

Niwot, Colorado
I can't remember the last time someone said "I know the cooler fits and it's great...it's just too big and it carries way too much ice"
Old 05-25-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
Actually it's more like, "the cooler fits great, and hold a lot of ice, but I'm just going to use it one week a year and it costs $280 more than a smaller cooler that has much better features."

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 05-25-2016   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutzski View Post
Actually it's more like, "the cooler fits great, and hold a lot of ice, but I'm just going to use it one week a year and it costs $280 more than a smaller cooler that has much better features."
I'll give you that. $280 more is a lot to spend for something that you will only use once a year....if that's truly the case. If you think you'll do a few trips a year or at least get use of it multiple times a year then I'd go with the larger one. Know that the more mass you have the cooler it stays.

On trips that I don't need as much space I still fill the cooler with ice. Again - nobody has said to me..."you brought too much ice"
Old 05-25-2016   #8

Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
I have a 16' Avon and use a BlackRock 150 and love it. I would not take it weekend car camping, but I have other coolers for that. They are 20% off with $20 shipping right now. That makes it very affordable.
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016   #9

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Trevko...Where do you get a black rock 150 for 20% off?
Old 05-25-2016   #10

Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 82
for a week long trip you can get by just fine with a more affordable cooler. I'd look for something that takes up as much of the 47" space as possible, and not too tall.

K2 coolers has some of their 120's in the scratch and dent sale section
CB Rob is offline   Reply With Quote