What raft should I get? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-17-2012   #1

Norrköping, Sweden
Paddling Since: 2003
What raft should I get?

Hi all. I need help to pick put the correct raft for a trip to Russia in 2013.
The raft needs to carry 2 persons with a fair amount of gear, we´re going to out on the tundra for 7-10 days on each trip so will need to carry some camp gear, tents, fishing gear and so on.
Dont know the classifications of the river we are going to run but normally they have some white water parts in them.
They need to be durable since we´re stuck on the tundra is something would happen with the boats.
We are going to be groups of 6 people so I 3 rafts as I see it.

Been looking around a bit on different shops but they all claim to be the best.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Best // Alex

Alex-imago is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012   #2

DURANGO, 81301
Paddling Since: 2005
Aire 143 R series is probably the best bang for your buck, and will carry a good amount of gear. Otherwise the 15' 6" R series is still "sporty" and you can take everything you might need plus a lot of things you probably don't need. Aire makes a tough boat. They are kind of heavy, but they can take a beating. Hope this helps.
Gumbydamnit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #3
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Alex, I think you might be in the market for a cataraft with a breakdown frame and 2-piece oars. This will be the lightest and easiest row-able raft to transport. Also if you have the funds and don't have raft repair experience you can bring an extra tube in addition to a repair kit - probably a good idea in a remote place.

Aire, Hyside, NRS, Sotar are the best of the industry. Either welded PVC or glued Hypalon are generally preferred. Before you buy, post a link on this thread and you'll be sure to get plenty of good input.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2012   #4

DURANGO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
R-2

You might want to consider going R-2 especially if your flying your gear in. The Culebra Grande by Jacks Plastic does really well for holding gear and running whitewater. I've been on several week long trips with this boat. No frame, no oars = less weight!
Old 11-17-2012   #5

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Two people, long trip, moderate load.... sounds like light weight is a concern, since you'll have to get all your crap over there. I'd be looking at a 14' Sotar ST or SL raft. Tough and light Urethane material. Aire 143D would be my second choice- only because of a weight penalty. Upside is it's maybe easier to repair in the field. If you want to sell it after the trip it'll be gone in a day or two. Excellent resale value there-

Oars are gonna be an issue- any chance of sourcing them once you're there? This is a BIG load you're building...hundreds of pounds and bulky as hell. I'd be tempted to go light with each man in his own boat. Two person Duck for each man could handle a nice load and provide a little elbow room so you're not crammed in there. Redundant in case you have a major failure and you need to double up. Worlds easier to transport over there- I'd stay away from the Scadden stuff, I don't think it's reliable enough for a true wilderness trip.
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012   #6

C. Springs, Colorado
Since your in Sweden......I'd go with Avon. Built close to you and arguably the best raft on the market.
Old 11-17-2012   #7

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Call zach at northwest rafting in hood river oregon. He's outfitted one or more trips to russia and has some russian rafting buddies. He'll have good advice.
Old 11-19-2012   #8

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbydamnit View Post
Aire 143 R series is probably the best bang for your buck, and will carry a good amount of gear. Otherwise the 15' 6" R series is still "sporty" and you can take everything you might need plus a lot of things you probably don't need. Aire makes a tough boat. They are kind of heavy, but they can take a beating. Hope this helps.
IMHO, 156 is too much boat for 2 people, unless they take a TON of gear.
Could take one spare bladder if they take an Aire boat...raft or cat.

All the 14' boat recommendations are good ones.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote