What kind of clothing for Deso in Sept? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-16-2014   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
What kind of clothing for Deso in Sept?

It looks like I'm going to be floating Desolation and Grey's Canyons in mid September. We're going to go very lightweight as if we were backpacking and will be floating inflatable kayaks. What kind of clothing do you think I'll need? I was recommended to get a 4mm or so wetsuit. Long-sleeve? Sleeveless? MM? Splash jacket? Footwear? Thoughts?

(I am pretty amateur with a couple of Labyrinth canoe trips under my belt and some Animas rafting and canoeing around Durango.)

RyanHostetler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014   #2

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanHostetler View Post
It looks like I'm going to be floating Desolation and Grey's Canyons in mid September. We're going to go very lightweight as if we were backpacking and will be floating inflatable kayaks. What kind of clothing do you think I'll need? I was recommended to get a 4mm or so wetsuit. Long-sleeve? Sleeveless? MM? Splash jacket? Footwear? Thoughts?

(I am pretty amateur with a couple of Labyrinth canoe trips under my belt and some Animas rafting and canoeing around Durango.)
Did it that time a few years ago and it was hot as hell. I'd use caution and be ready for anything though. Long johns and some extra fleece doesn't take up that much space.
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #3

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
September on Deso can vary widely in temps. depending of whether you are going in early September or late. I'd bring layers for all temps. Could be shorts & polypro T-shirt, or Smartwool and splash pants/jacket. Wet suit shorts for early Sept. and maybe a full suit for late Sept. If you are a rookie, you might swim more, so maybe err on the side of warmth?

My outfit of choice for September Middle Fork trips is Smartwool, and splash wear if it's cool, and polypro layers if it's warm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I am wondering about this too. Launching Sept. 10th on a kayak self support and not sure if I should bring dry gear or just a shorty top and a rain jacket. From everything I've seen its class 2 at low water so I'm not too concerned about flipping or big waves. Thinking 1 pair of board shorts with a t shirt and one layering system, thick base layer with Marmot rain suit....
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014   #5

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I've been on two different Green River/September trips in the last 5 years where rainfall doubled the flow on the gauge at GreenRiver town within an hour. The rain that flooded Longmont last September hit hard in Utah before it hit Colo. I would anticipate 'variable' conditions. I would definitely do a very good job of setting up an anchor at night.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote