What in the He77 happened to Urethane prices?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-28-2013   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
What in the He77 happened to Urethane prices??

Your help in my Urethane coating vs fabric thread has helped me decide to get the coating on my PVC tubes. Iíve been doing some research and found this discussion from 2004.
http://boatertalk.com/forum/RaftZone/677816
That was an entire Round boat for $200. I was recently quoted 1800 for my tubes which are significantly simpler and less surface area.

That is a 900 percent increase!! I canít think of any other product/service that has enjoyed that kind of inflation. Is it due to EPA regs, application difficulties, product supply? Can someone please explain this to me??

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013   #2

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Don't know about the specific coating but since 2004, materials have gone up drastically. As a painting contractor, I had a 15% increase one year alone, and a normal year is 3-5%. And those are "everyday" products. I would also be fairly confident this is a much better product, hence the price difference. A newer product also may have a more labor intensive installation. Or the price quoted was for someone starting out who didn't know how to price labor, doing it on the side, etc.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Wait till you have a major medical operation

etc next year. Urethane cost increase is just the beginning.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2013   #4

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by okieboater View Post
etc next year. Urethane cost increase is just the beginning.
True. Medical costs keep going up. You try and solve the problems and they say, don't fuck with that, it's 18% of our economy (GDP).

Well maybe it shouldn't be 18% of our economy. Other countries have found better ways to provide better care for less cost. You know, so you have money to spend on things like "boating"

Then they say "that's Socialized Medicine". I don't care what kind of medicine it is if its affordable and keeps you well.

But that would take competitiveness out of health care (which has been doing such a bang up job at controlling costs). Maybe some things in life shouldn't be for profit.

My point? Quit bitching about Obamacare on a rafting forum.
Old 08-29-2013   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
Good point Mr Avatard

Not so much bitching as Affordable Health Care is the law, not gonna change. But it along with a ton of other increases in cost of living take away from my money to go boating. Not just urethane increases. Might not be true for every one tho.

That was the point.
okieboater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013   #6

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Urethane Help

I work for Rocky Mountain Adventures that sells System 6 which is a bomber urethane paint for all types of boats. I would be more than happy to chat with you about the cost of getting some (including shipping). Unfortunately we are in the process of updating our website so there is not a lot of help there. I do know that Man of Rubber also sells this stuff and that they have some info on their website. Feel free to pm me or just respond to the thread.

To get you a quote I would need

Boat material type
estimated coverage area
color
shipping zip code
Old 08-29-2013   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
$200 to urethane a raft with 7 coats? I don't buy it, even in 2004.

If I bought or rented some shop space, a hvlp sprayer, a compressor, and a respirator, I would probably want to make some money. $200 sounds ridiculously cheap just for the prep work alone.

Would you want to clean, sand, and tape a raft and then spray it 7 times for $200? Plus, it will take at least two gallons to due that many coats. Even in 2004 the urethane must have cost something.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #8

Florence, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
If that is the process, I'm actually a little stoked Mike. As a tub refinisher, I have all the equipment. I also am trying to fix an older 14' Maravia (?) and make it look good. Done so many other finishes, it would be cool to make the old boat look better.
formerflatlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013   #9

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
For an older boat I would do it my self. I have only done it once but it came out great, and I used a roller. The biggest thing is having some shop space to keep it clean and dry and to let it cure.

If you have refinished tubs and you read the directions you will be fine.

System 6 is the stuff. I think it is Inflatable Technologies in house mixture. Get it from Man of Rubber or Rocky Mountain Adventures.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote