What good sized cooking pots do you use? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2017   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
What good sized cooking pots do you use?

I'm looking to get some nesting pots and pans. We would use them for car camping and river running. I'd like some that nest and don't take up too much space and are big enough to cook for a family of 4 and be useful to feed the herd on the river.
I'm not looking for cast iron, something lighter and space efficient. A couple of pots and a couple of frying pans would be ideal. I'm thinking something like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0.../?tag=ccrap-20
What are you all using? Anyone got better ideas?

altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2017   #2

St. George, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
This is what I use. You can build your own set on the website. Buy an extra handle, add a stock pot and you can feed 16. Not cheap but cooks very well with solid bottoms that hold heat and don't burn food like cheap stainless pots
Nesting Induction Cookware | RV Induction Cookware
dsrtrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017   #3

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
What good sized cooking pots do you use?

10" GSI aluminum anodized Dutch Oven
12" GSI aluminum anodized DO
Medium Partner aluminum anodized griddle
12qt stockpot that fits your 12" DO
2 or 4 burner break apart Partner stove
Fire pan for baking with charcoal briquettes in the DO's

The above will take care of the family. That kit will let you bake, braise, sauté, and fry. I use my DO's on the stovetop all the time. I light my charcoal on the stove too. The DO lids can even be turned upside down and used as griddles in a pinch.

Add a 14" DO and another medium griddle and you'll take care of the army. However, you might want to go with the 4 burner to feed the larger group.

The above is my family camping kit with my 2 burner Partner. When I cook for larger groups, I add the 4 burner Partner, a 14" DO, and the other griddle. I bring a couple of nesting steel bowls and flexible cutting boards, for food prep. I also bring a woodland power stove for heating stuff up fast.

P.S. Ditch the fry pan. I have a camping frying pan that I haven't used camping in 10 years. Because griddles are that bad ass!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2017   #4

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
What (good size cooking pots) do you use?

10 inch is a good size, I like to keep it simple. Two 10 in. GSI duch ovens, their good to use as pots also, one 10 in. stew pot, one 10 in. copper clad bottom fry pan( multi use) and one steel griddle. All the lids fit each other for simplicity. No real need for a bunch of different sizes in my opinion. The space saving of nesting is nice but I prefer the one size route myself ( 80% of the time). Of course I still have the big blow grill kits and cooks kits that weight a ton, for 15 to 30 person party groups.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-05-22 12.33.36.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	407.5 KB
ID:	18810  
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
What you get depends on your cooking style. I have a 16qt cheap stainless steel , a 12qt and a 6qt, all with a full sized strainers. Not great for cooking directly on flame, but really great for heating food in cooking bags, steaming veggies, cooking pasta, home canned foods still in the jar or just putting food inside smaller pot, then in bigger pot with enough water in big pot to heat food. Nests well.
My set up allows me to cook for up to 16 people, but I don't cook as much as reheat. Most of the food I bring is precooked, frozen in cooking bags for reheating later, home canned or canned goods from store depending on length of trip and available cooler space. Foods cooked on grill or griddle are a different animal.
The important thing is to have strainer baskets for your pots to elevate the food from the bottom. A good griddle. Dutch ovens if you want to spend more prep and cook time in camp. I prefer to do all the prep at home, but do like to break out my DO's (12" and 16") for baking on layover days.
As mentioned before a skillet is a waste of space.
All my cooking/eating gear came from the ARC store except my partner stove and griddle, so I do not even have a $100 in my kitchen gear or even know the brands. Spent that much on griddle.