What glue is in your repair kit? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2018   #1
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Paddling Since: 0001
What glue is in your repair kit?

I was shifting through my repair kit this weekend, I found materials from equipment I don't even have anymore. Then I saw on my can of stabond that it has a shelf life of 1yr. Well it was maybe that in dog yrs, oh wait that the other way around, so about 7 yrs old or so. I went researching and couldn't find a longer shelf life. So my question: is there a longer lasting glue, is my 7 yr old stuff still good since it's never been opened? Or do you buy glue every yr?

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018   #2
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Need to replace yearly. Lodore ranger is the only one who has ever checked mine. I find things to use it up on at the end of season. This year I am adding corner condoms to my Paco pads.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Every year new glue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2018   #4

montrose, Colorado
I have used four year old stabond without thinking twice, and some of those patches are over 10 years old now and fine. I go by the viscosity and color of the glue. In a previous thread, I asked the same question and the owner of a well respected raft repair shop agreed that stabond can likely last much longer than its expiration date.

That being said, after seven years, you should replace.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018   #5
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepart View Post
I have used four year old stabond without thinking twice, and some of those patches are over 10 years old now and fine. I go by the viscosity and color of the glue. In a previous thread, I asked the same question and the owner of a well respected raft repair shop agreed that stabond can likely last much longer than its expiration date.

That being said, after seven years, you should replace.
It would be good to hear from the Zacks on this one. Good to hear it worked after 4. I'm going to get more but I just wish for one with I longer expiration. Glad I went thru repair box. I had allot of junk in there.
Old 02-12-2018   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
If it has the texture of a superball, is that a bad thing?
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #7

montrose, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCo View Post
It would be good to hear from the Zacks on this one. Good to hear it worked after 4. I'm going to get more but I just wish for one with I longer expiration. Glad I went thru repair box. I had allot of junk in there.
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...lue-55225.html
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #8

thornton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1969
If you see seven, one inch blue cats attacking your toes after 90 seconds of continually sniffing your glue, your probably good to go. We were on a trip and had to patch a 12 inch tare, so we pulled out the first repair kit and the can of glue had opened up at sometime and glued everything together, look like a Chinese omelette. We pulled the second repair kit and the can of glue was useless. So we baseball stiched it and used duck taped as a patch, it was good enough for a couple days with slight pumping to make it to the take out. It's a good idea to check your repair kit before every trip, visually check your glue and if the consistency looks right and useable like mikepart said, I wouldn't worry. Place the can of glue in a plastic bag and go have fun.
raymo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #9
Definite maybe

Weld county, Colorado
Mike I need to improve my Google searches I guess cause I couldn't find any info on expired glue. Thanks for the link. I'm going to get more, vacuum seal it and replace every 4 yrs. Thanks for all the help.
Old 02-14-2018   #10

boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1981
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Every year new glue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Glad to hear that Laura, I won't replace my 5 year old glue now
jkisraft is offline   Reply With Quote