What color bimini - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2017   #1

Denver, Colorado
What color bimini

Skipping white, but there's blue, dark blue, black, red, green, teal, sand/brown, dark grey, light grey.
What's the best for heat and sun protection or does it even matter?
Going on a 14' red nrs boat from 1995 or so.
Thanks

jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #2
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Go with a lighter color to keep it from absorbing heat.
Blue if it is light, or sand or light gray. All the sand that will get on it would blend better with the earth tone colors.
Old 04-14-2017   #3

Cheyenne, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1801
I'm shopping for a lid myself. What width are you thinking? 54-60? Thats the one I think I will try on my blue 14' NRS-Maybe burgundy bimini to match blood and guts. Ha. I think
dark colors will fade with time, and prolly be hotter. BUT maybe low end fabric wont have
that much longevity anyway.
chugwater1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2017   #4

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a gray and a dark green one. Really could not tell any difference temperature wise when I had both on the river at the same time. Was darker sitting under the green one. I would stay away from red, yellow or teal I have noticed that red or yellow attract bees and yellow jackets more IMHO.
Old 04-14-2017   #5

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
I have a yellow bimini and a white bimini. I used both in the Grand Canyon on the same trip. It seemed much hotter under the yellow one.
Old 04-14-2017   #6

Montrose, Colorado
There probably is no perfect color.
Despite best efforts, they will get stepped on / dirty when not in use. Consider something that will not look too bad when dirty. Good call on not going with white. I have a cream colored one for one raft which has a few stains from use.

As others mentioned, insects may be attracted to certain colors.

I have been looking for a narrow bimini to go with my yellow mini-max. In my case, I am probably just going to match the oars and accessories which happen to be mostly green.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #7

ChroniclesofGnarnia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 4/20
Black definitely black😅

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
jimr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
This is the bimini and color that I got last year. Works great and made things much cooler in the August heat of Desolation Canyon. If I had to do it over again, I'd get the wider version for my 16' Nez Perce. I did not use the rear poles. Using straps to secure front and back.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bimini-Top-4...item3abe98e849
altaholics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017   #9
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Ya know, when I first read that thread title, it looked like " what color BIKINI" ,would be such a much more fun thread, specialy with pictures( of GIRLs wearing them, not guys, lest some sick puppy have ideas).
Old 04-14-2017   #10

Walterville, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1977
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
Ya know, when I first read that thread title, it looked like " what color BIKINI" ,would be such a much more fun thread, specialy with pictures( of GIRLs wearing them, not guys, lest some sick puppy have ideas).
Which reminds me of one of the first threads I read on the Buzz. The first few posts in the thread are classic. https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...ons-23900.html