What are my raft options? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2011   #1

Riverton, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
What are my raft options?

Ok, we have 6 rafts, all are old Rikens. We are thinking it might be time to replace a couple of them... thinking we'd like to buy a new 18' raft. I prefer hypalon as I have all the stuff to maintain them.

So what are my options for manufactures? Who makes 18' ish hypalon rafts these days?

Thanks

DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2011   #2
Cpt. No Scout

In a Van, Down By the River
Paddling Since: 91
Hyplon is on its way out. Nobody wants to make Hyplon material. So, i'd rethink the whole "needs to be hyplon" argument. but hey, if ya like big o floppy boats check out NRS. Link below

NRS E-180 Self-Bailing Rafts at NRSweb.com
idahofloater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011   #3

Austin, Texas
Paddling Since: 1990
@ idahofloater, what's the word on the Hyplon manufacturing? Haven't heard about this. Does it produce nasty bi prouduct, or is it just expensive?
liquidphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2011   #4

Riverton, Utah
Ok, fair enough on the hypalon... so the other option is PVC? Who makes larger boats out of other material?
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #5
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidphoto View Post
@ idahofloater, what's the word on the Hyplon manufacturing? Haven't heard about this. Does it produce nasty bi prouduct, or is it just expensive?

Copy and pasted from duPont's web site. Link Below. Don't really know why. My guess is that it will become harder and harder for mfg like nrs to get Hyplon and be forced to go with newer materials like nylon and pvc.

DuPont™ Hypalon®

Update as 04/20/2010
The DuPont Performance Elastomers Hypalon® business has ceased operations as of April 20, 2010. The planned closure was initially announced in 2009, and the plant operation was extended to support the needs of customers through the transition process.
We are no longer offering Hypalon® product for sale. If you are interested in a replacement product, please view the broader DuPont portfolio for other Elastomers that may fit your application needs.

Hypalon®
Old 09-01-2011   #6
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCan View Post
Ok, fair enough on the hypalon... so the other option is PVC? Who makes larger boats out of other material?

If I was a guilde or someone who had a fleet of boats that they themselves didn't row. Without a second thought I'd go with aire boats. They are as tough as boats get. Plus the parts are interchangable. If one boat has a bad floor and another boat has bad tudes. You can make one good boat and sell the other. Also you can buy parts as needed. Say a blatter gets all cut up. just buy a new blatter. Patching an aire is as easy and quick as it gets. And lastly, the design of the floor makes aire boat "stick" to the river and hold strieght lines. Now if this is your personal boat boat, I'd go differently.

AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats
Old 09-01-2011   #7
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Looks like DanCan is from Utah and not Idaho, thus he'd be on our awesome silty rivers! AIRE boats + silt don't get along well. Go with Maravia, Dan. Made by the same cool folks in Boise and a very solid boat.... I row one
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #8
Cpt. No Scout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazak4x4 View Post
Looks like DanCan is from Utah and not Idaho, thus he'd be on our awesome silty rivers! AIRE boats + silt don't get along well. Go with Maravia, Dan. Made by the same cool folks in Boise and a very solid boat.... I row one
Sure, never thought about silt. I am spoiled by our clean rivers. I too boat a maravia. sweet boat.
Old 09-01-2011   #9

Beaverton, Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
DuPont™ Hypalon®

Update as 04/20/2010
The DuPont Performance Elastomers Hypalon® business has ceased operations as of April 20, 2010. The planned closure was initially announced in 2009, and the plant operation was extended to support the needs of customers through the transition process.
We are no longer offering Hypalon® product for sale. If you are interested in a replacement product, please view the broader DuPont portfolio for other Elastomers that may fit your application needs.

Hypalon®
All this means is that DuPont discontinued their manufacture of that chemical and Hypalon brand name. Their are other companies in the world that make that particular chemical under different names. NRS switched to a company called Pennel for their supply, who sells it under the name of Pennel Orca.

Also, it seems to me that Hyside and AVON also still sell Hypalon boats, if I'm not mistaken.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011   #10

Medford, Oregon
Hypalon's definitely not on it's way out...

Check out the Avon Superpro. Great boat and a good time to buy... Clavey will give you a $1750 store credit if you buy one: 18ft Avon SuperPro w/ $1750 in Clavey Store Credit
WillCarson is offline   Reply With Quote