Wetsuits - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-05-2015   #1

Cave Creek, Arizona
Wetsuits

Did a search, didn't come up with much.

Ok so my experience with wetsuits is almost non existent. I have only worn them a handful of times, and most of those were when I was a kid. Now that I am getting more into boating I figure it's time to get a good wetsuit.

My only knowledge of wetsuits is the basic rule: The thicker the neoprene, the warmer the wetsuit. So what companies are making good quality comfortable wetsuits for paddle sports? Any of you have experience with the NRS Ultra John and the HydroSkin 1.5 Jacket? What are the low end temperatures this type of setup will keep me warm? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015   #2
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
This isn't exactly what you were looking for, but...

I wore wetsuits for years (Farmer John style), and found them adequate while in the water, but miserable while in the boat or on shore. They certainly saved my pasty white chicken skin several times on swims, but sitting all day in a cold, damp, smelly rubber sleeve got really old.

Finally, after an Owyhee trip where the ambient air temp never got above 40F, and we had to thaw frozen wetsuits out every morning with hot water poured through them, I broke down and bought a refurbished drysuit. I've never looked back. Long johns + fleece pants and top + drysuit? Yes. Warm socks on a cold day? You bet.

Think about a drysuit; it's worth it.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
I know I've said it before but.... I'm a pretty big fan of my NRS wetsuit. They use a new material called Terraprene and it is oh so comfy. I feel like I should be an interpretive dancer, or one of those ribbon twirlers. It's sounds funny, but I feel pretty free in my wetsuit. And it keeps me warm during swims I think it's a 2.0.... it will satisfy me for years unless I start boating in full on winter conditions, especially for a hundred bucks.
Advertisement

Old 08-05-2015   #4

Cave Creek, Arizona
I have been thinking about it. I have been checking the used market too.

Thanks for your input.
Old 08-05-2015   #5
Caw! Caw!

Boise, Idaho
After reading soggy's reply above, I have to comment that I haven't worn a wetsuit since 1995 or so. Maybe the new ones are more comfortable than I was used to. Worth looking into.

Used drysuits can be a great bargain. I bought my current suit used; it needed new gaskets/booties, and a small repair on one seam. $50. All told, I'm into it for about $350. My old suit, the refurb that I mentioned above, I passed on to a friend. He still uses it.

I wouldn't buy a used wetsuit, though. They get really funky and grotty after you wear them a bit. And I prefer the smell of my own brand...
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015   #6

Cave Creek, Arizona
Thanks. I am defiantly interested in the Ultra John and 1.5 jacket. The Ultra John has the Vaporloft. I just got a pair of NRS freestyle wet shoes that have Vaporloft and that shit slips right on with no fuss. We will see how it works in the water. And even though the Ultra John and jacket are by no means cheap, they are still way less than a new drysuit.

Though if any of you like other wetsuits, please speak up.
Old 08-05-2015   #7

Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Or you could just rub vasoline all over your body and free ball it. Itsy an alternative thought.
Old 08-05-2015   #8

Cave Creek, Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyphsyco View Post
Or you could just rub vasoline all over your body and free ball it. Itsy an alternative thought.
I like that idea. On second thought it might be a little hard to stay in the boat.
Old 08-06-2015   #9
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
I have a 12 year old NRS Grizzly wet suit along with a good OS Systems dry suit. I typically use the the Grizzly to be comfortable, if I feel my core temp is at risk in a swim, I stick with the drysuit. I think it works well in the summer and sometimes fall in warmer, easier water. I am setting of on a Deschutes river trip here in Oregon on Friday. The daytime highs are going to be in the 70-80 degree range with possible thundershowers. The water temps are 60-68 F right now. I will pack my Grizzly in case we get hit with a cloud burst or winds in the afternoon. Winter and spring I only wear a dry suit. Oh, and I raft and IK, if that information helps too. I hate to tell people what they should do, I prefer to give you an example of how and why I do things, and maybe some of this info will help you out.
Old 08-06-2015   #10

buckeye, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2014
I always considered wet suits to be useful for warm weather with cold water and drys it's to be good for cold weather and water
azpowell is offline   Reply With Quote