Weight of old Aire Puma - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-25-2019   #1

wenatchee, Washington
Weight of old Aire Puma

After 25 years of use, I need to replace my Puma (the little one). A buddy and I throw an oar frame on it and fish out of it. It's light enough, a couple guys in their 60s can launch it and haul it out of just about anyplace. So I thought we would replace it with a Super Puma--maybe a little more stable, particularly when anchoring. The Super Puma weights 85 pounds which is only 12 pounds heavier than the Puma which weighs in at 73 odd pounds. Then I finally got around to weighing my old Puma. We came up with a weight of 55 pounds! Is that possible? Am I doing something wrong? Is a new Puma really 20 pounds heavier than one from the 90s? And secondly, would a Super Puma be noticeably more stable in, particularly when anchoring, than a Puma? Thanks. -- And according to Aire--their weights are without thwarts.

mbdaniela is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019   #2

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The thwarts add like 6 pounds each.

The 2017 and newer Aire rafts weigh less than the old. But have bomb fabric.

I have a 2013 green Super Puma. I carry (turtle) or drag the damn thing solo most of the time with three thwarts. I am 32 years old.

I have carried it deflated and rolled on my back, uphill, over a pass, for about four miles ( no thwarts).

I’ve carried it downhill inflated about a half mile numerous times. Numerous times

Most of the time I pump it up, rig it up with the frame and drag it less than a hundred yards. Over bushes, over rocks, through tight spots, and once an a while a short distance across pavement or gravel. Solo or with the wife helping ...

2,000+ river miles on my Super Puma, not a single hole or patch.

The super puma is an awesome all around raft. I think you’ll like it better than the regular puma.
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019   #3

Hampden, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I think you won’t notice much of a difference anchoring . 11 feet versus 13 feet. Ehhhh not much different
FlyingDutchman is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2019   #4
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
The OP is probably talking a really old puma, double pointy ender like mine. They do weigh in the mid 50 pound range. The new Pumas are bigger than the old pointy enders and weight more.

Since, its a fishing theme how about this pic of an old pointy ender puma
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019   #5

wenatchee, Washington
Hey thanks for the reply. Never considered that the size of the Puma had changed over the years.
Old 01-26-2019   #6

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I think you should trust your scale and tape measure as manufacturer specs have tolerances...

I use my Super Puma for R2 creeking and love it. I think the dozen pounds difference between it and a regular Puma is more than made up for in better handling and stability. Definitely go for the newest model as the weight difference is appreciable. We drag and slide our AIREs all the time and they can take it so remember that.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack View Post
The OP is probably talking a really old puma, double pointy ender like mine. They do weigh in the mid 50 pound range. The new Pumas are bigger than the old pointy enders and weight more.
I got out the measure tape, my old pointy ender puma fits fully inflated in my early 2000's trundra (with no thwarts). The bed width is 5'. The new Puma has a spec of 5'5.5" with no thwarts https://www.aire.com/amfilerating/fi...ad/file_id/84/

So the newer round version if the puma (which has been around for many years) is significantly wider. According to the infamous Paul Harrell's scale of comparison, "Thats a lot more!". For a fishing rig, I prefer the really old pointy ender style over the new round boat wider style because it fits in a mid-size pickup truck bed fully rigged. Not really any 11' rafts I know of that can do that.

When ever my old pointy ender bites the dust, I am going to see if Aire will build me another one of this style. I assume they still have the pattern because I have bought new air cells for this boat a couple years ago.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019   #8

wenatchee, Washington
Just wanted to thank everyone for their replies and insight. Finally went to the horses mouth and the folks at Aire said that the early Pumas were roughly 10' x 5' and change. So that would be reflected in the weight of the boat. Building inflatables was less precise back then.

As a result, I think I will be purchasing a new Puma rather than the Super Puma. The slight additional size of the newer Pumas will be useful for the occasional overnighter with the wife. And the slight difference in weight (between the regular and Super) will be appreciated while trying to launch or take out the boat and frame from those rivers with fewer boat ramps--Methow, St. Joe, CDA.

Again, thank you all for your input.
Old 01-28-2019   #9

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Sounds like you have it figured out. Just another piece of info: My Super Puma can be stuffed into the back of an 07 Tundra if I deflate the thwarts, and maybe the tubes slightly. I know your truck is a bit smaller, but so is the regular Puma, so I feel like you should be able to stuff it in there like the old one.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire