Wave Destroyer & similar diameter (21-22") Cataraft tubes - frame spec questions - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 09-08-2014   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Wave Destroyer & similar diameter (21-22") Cataraft tubes - frame spec questions

The Wave Destroyer tubes are 21" (13' WD) or 22" (12, 14, 15 WD's) in diameter. For boats of these diameter tubes, and I'm leaning towards an NRS frame but most frames would have fairly similar dimensions for this question depending on tube diameter: What is a recommended center to center measurement from the inner rail pipe to the outer rail pipe if it's fair to say? The reason I ask is most of the bars that rest on the top chafe strip (if your cat has a top chafe strip - the outer bars are the ones that your outer D-rings are cam strapped onto) are usually not centered directly on the tube, but instead are slightly outside the center line. And the inner rail that your inner D-rings are cam strapped onto is usually right up against the tubes. Also, is there a rule of thumb to figure this out? Like if your Cat tubes are such and such a diameter, you go this many inches outside the centre line of the tube? Thanks for any input!

SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014   #2
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
Shoot for about 2 inches past center on each tube. Don't worry if you have to go 3 or 1 but 3 is better than zero.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #3

Boise, Idaho
I can measure my frame when I get home, but the outer edge of my frame is as wide as I can get it without the frame leaving the contact of the tube circumference. I think my crossbars are around 64'' long. I and many others might tell you that NRS frames are inferior to other frames for lots of reasons. I personally would go with something else, but the cookie-cutter stock sizes and modular aspects of NRS are attractive to some. My old NRS frame was 66'' wide and worked ok for my needs, until I started wanting scout rails, better oar towers, lighter gear, etc. Feel free to shoot me a call or text as I own all of the gear you describe and have been down this road before...

rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014   #4

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
NRS frames vs ?

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it!

As far as NRS frames vs the competition, I was always under the impression that NRS frames were the shiznit. I mean the tubing is certainly beefy. I know there are some great fab companies like MadCatr, etc, that you guys rave about from reading past threads as well. What sold me on the NRS frame was the modular aspect of the frame. Buying a few extra frame parts/components allows me to set the frame up for myself only, or shuttling myself and another guy, or as a fly fishing frame, etc. I have read a complaint about the new forged oar towers slipping at times for some.
SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #5
no tengo

Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
The new/lighter NRS frame towers and fittings are pretty dope and cost effective.
mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #6

pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
I run my nrs frame on everything from old 14' ocelot tubes to 16' fatty jag tubes. And 15' nrs urethane tubes.

By changing towers out 66" width works. My friends all have 72" which seems better on bigger tubes.

We all went with universal rather than yolks. I move the drop bars sometimes to change the fit a bit.

But ultimately it all works pretty well.

I like modular fwiw. Everything from 8 day to solo single day trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #7

vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I have newer ocelot tubes 22.5 and run a 66 nrs frame with universal so my yeti 120 can sit over the rails. Do the math its about 38 so that puts the side rails just outside of center by about an inch or two

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014   #8

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Check out the Whitewater Machineworks frame components- and build your own this winter.

As for width, depends what you're gonna do with it. I wish my cat was a few inches wider so it didn't pitch as much in big waves- but I designed it for narrow, rocky fishing floats....different horses, right?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014   #9

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I love the NRS Yoke frame system as well. I think they are bombroof, stiff, modular and breakdownable. I put my Allycat frame on my 15WD, but at the original width the side rails were way to wide for those tubes, but I cut 3.5 inches off each side, bolted in the lowpros, and they were perfect. I'll post some pics later today
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mania View Post
Shoot for about 2 inches past center on each tube. Don't worry if you have to go 3 or 1 but 3 is better than zero.
Why do you say that? I called NRS before I cut my frame narrower and they did not mention anything about the rails being past center. Should I be worried?
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cataraft