water "proof" garbage and recycling duffle - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-29-2018   #1

Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
water "proof" garbage and recycling duffle

We've traditionally used army duffles lined with a couple of 55 gal contractor bags for our garbage. I'm looking for a cost effective similar duffle that is made out of waterproof material to use in replacement of these.

A couple of things to note.

* Probably in the 100l + size

* compression straps would be a plus

* The bag doesn't have to be the level of dry that protects other things in a traditional drybag.

* The bag will still be lined with a contractor plastic bag

* The top closure can be a non-traditional roll top - although that's probably the most cost effective way.

Any ideas?

Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018   #2

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You're overthinking this. I just use an old cheap "sorta-dry" drybag that I got at Walmart years ago - it's about the size of a Bill's Bag from JPW and even has backpack straps. I'll bring a bag of charcoal in it and replace with garbage and the charcoal gets used up. Compactor bags are a great bonus but not really necessary if you're already putting the bags it into a tough fabric bag. For compression straps just put a couple of old beater 6' cam straps around it and cinch them down - they'll compress the contents pretty well. This setup keeps the garbage dry enough to get it to the dumpster as long as there's not a flip.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #3

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
You're overthinking this. I just use an old cheap "sorta-dry" drybag that I got at Walmart years ago - it's about the size of a Bill's Bag from JPW and even has backpack straps. Compactor bags are a great bonus but really unnecessary if you're already putting it into a tough fabric bag. For compression straps just put a couple of old 6' cam straps around it and cinch them down - they'll compress the contents pretty well. This setup keeps the garbage dry enough to get it to the dumpster as long as there's not a flip.

-AH
Awesome - can you point me to the bag you are using? I've looked there and couldn't find anything. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot - checked luggage and camping.
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2018   #4

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
You're missing the point. The notion is that you go through your boating gear and take that old big drybag that is now a "sort of"dry bag because it has some little holes in it, maybe duct tape applied in a couple of places, and that you don't really use any more. Then take that and use it for your garbage bag. But if you really want to go spend some money, here's what searching "Walmart dry bags" got me to: Dry Bags

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #5

lafayette or Grand Lake, Depends on mood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport...24&athena=true

This has compression straps
Old 08-29-2018   #6

Central Point, Oregon
https://www.whitewaterworthy.com/pro...-recycle-bags/
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #7

Niwot, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewater Worthy Equip View Post
Can you share some images of this?
Old 08-29-2018   #8

Central Point, Oregon
It will be after 9/5 but, id be happy to.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #9

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I use the following 'system' for trash.

1. I vacuum pack, pre-cook and prepare or repack what I can ahead of time. It's amazing the amount of trash you can leave at home. Maybe 50% reduction?

2. Food is stored in 4 gal square plastic buckets that stack well in my bay.
I can get about a days meals in one bucket. When the bucket is empty it gets a heavy duty trash compactor bag and becomes a garbage or recycling bucket.

3. I stomp the trash in as tight as I can get it, the HD bag slides a bit and helps in the effort.

4. I usually can get all the trash back in the empty food buckets. Again about a days trash in each one. My wife's sz 6 feet fit perfectly in the bucket!

5. I have an army surplus WP duffel I take for any extra bags. The HD trash compactor bags are much tougher and hold up well. They are smaller and fit the duffel well.
kengore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I have two of these https://www.amazon.com/OZARK-TRAIL-Y.../dp/B00NFTNYR4

I use them for trash, cool ashes, or fire wood.
Eagle Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag