Water inside the floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2017   #1
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
Water inside the floor

I got water inside my Hyside floor (I beam floor). I took off the valve and towel dried it as best I could there, but can feel the fabric in between the beams is still wet. I can imagine further down the floor it's still quite wet or damp.

Will this be a problem? What should I do?

Thanks for the advice. I'll be calling Hyside tomorrow but wanted to get this out there to the Buzzies now for their input without further delay.

johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017   #2

crested butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Have tried to shop vac it out?
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017   #3

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
How did the water get in there? I'd try the shop vac, and a lot of tilting/back and forthing. I think moisture in there could create a mold/mildew/wet rot problem. Good luck! Let us know what you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2017   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hang it by its heels with both valves off and a blower running, with the nozzle loose in one opening. A cheap wall mart/ air matress blower will work fine for this.
Get the inside completely dry and you will be fine, moisture will make the tubes deteriorate over time though.
Old 08-06-2017   #5
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
Hyside told me not to worry about dampness inside the floor. Mildew or rot will take a long time to happen, many years, if it ever does. Water gets inside floors, it's almost impossible to totally prevent. He said that it's likely a little seepage gets in from the floor valves, especially as people step on them. Get out the standing water.

He told me to turn the boat upside down and check the floor for holes by slathering on soapy water in. I did, there were no bubbles anywhere so I presume there are no pinholes to let water in.

He said inflate the floor and keep the rear up to let water inside the floor go down to the valves. Take them off and towel dry inside as best you can.

Turn the boat upside down, raise the valve end, get it in the sun to heat up the floor. The dampness inside will heat and evaporate and escape through the valve openings.

He said you don't need to blow air inside the floor, but it wouldn't hurt.
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017   #6

Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
Removing Moisture

Some instructions for storing your boat, including removing moisture prior to storage:

https://hyside.com/hyside-owners-manual/#store
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
I highly recommend completely drying the inside of the floor. In the shop, I shop vac all I can out and then cycle air in and out of the floor, with the blower side of a dry shop vac, 15 min on 15 min off on a timer. Sometimes for days. I want to get zero condensation on my hand when letting the air out of a tightly pumped floor that has been siting a while.

If you choose to blow off drying out your floor completely, my number is 720 240 3628 and my email is [email protected] when you need it. I dont think it is a coincidence that almost all the blown i beams and perimeter seam failures on floors show up with some degree of water inside. I put my pump in a dry bag. I want zero water inside my boat.
Old 08-14-2017   #8

Salem, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
Here's what I did. Get the raft at an angle so the water runs down hill. Remove the valve and get the shop vac hose down into the low point where the water will puddle. Once you get the standing water out, reverse the hose so it is blowing. Use a clamp or something to hold the hose about an inch about the valve. This will inflate the floor and allow the moisture out as it evaporates. Let it run for about an hour or longer if needed.
kayakerps is offline   Reply With Quote