Water Filtration Systems - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-03-2018   #1

Water Filtration Systems

I'm curious what people use for water filtration for multiday trips. We have a family of 3.

kayakingkate is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2018   #2

summit, Colorado
Depends on the water source. If it's a clean river (not silty desert water), I highly recommend a Katadyn base camp gravity filter. Fill the bag, hang the bag, go do something fun while it does the work!

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
basinrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018   #3

Family of 3 you could just carry it. Really depends on the trip. Lodore and Yampa you can refill part way through. Deso we just grab water out of Rock creek and treat with Aqua Mira or iodine. The Grand renting a bad ass electric pump filter makes sense. I'm about to do Cataract with 20+ people and we are going to take our time so I'm planning on water wizard, then a Vital gravity pump, and aquamira. A bag system might be fine for somewhere with clear water. Comes down to what you are doing and how much you want to spend (like everything else )
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2018   #4

Blue River, Colorado
Platypus Gravity Works filter system

I've used it for years on smaller group river trips and backpacking. You would have to settle silty water first, with alum or other chemicals in a bucket. This filter system is lightweight and fairly fast. There is some maintenance when you get home, cleaning and drying the filter.
kneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #5
Gary F

Philipsburg, Montana
Paddling Since: 1984
I love those gravity bag systems. Easy! My present addition to my gear pile is this: Note, it is not finalized but the system is based on using more readily (cheaper) parts. For the anti bacterial part I am using a Doulton ceramic house filter. Before that I will use a home depot particulate/charcoal element. I have mad a pump using PVC. Sort of a longer skinnier raft pump. This set up is a lot cheaper than the expedition filters and has easy to replace stuff.
kokoroltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018   #6

Northern Utah, Utah
Paddling Since: 1990
I second the Katadyn Gravity Camp filters. I have a 10L filter that is a breeze to use in clean side streams on river trips. Light weight and simple to use.
FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018   #7

Arnold, California
I wanted to build a system with a filter followed by a UV purifier but was having trouble finding a reasonably priced 12v model. I have the pump & filters to do a couple gpm.

I've rented them for GC but that's about the only place that seems to rent them. I'm doing the Salmon in a couple weeks with 30 people so it would be nice to have 1 on that trip. We plan to carry a bunch and then resort to a gravity filter.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-10-2018   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1987
I built a 12 v pump water filter/purifier. It fits in a pelican case, has a solar panel and solar charge controller, 12V 12 AH sealed lead acid battery. It runs with a 1 gpm shurflo pump and then through a 0.5 micron carbon filter, then a Dalton 0.9 micron absolute ceramic filter. We then run a UV filter off of a 12V modified sine wave inverter to get rid of any viruses and anything that is left over.

I was concerned about the UV output using a cheap 200 W modified sine wave inverter so we ran it across a scope to make sure the UV output was the same. We also used a buck to lower the voltage to the inverter. It didn't make a difference. The voltage and amperage at the bulb were the same whether I used the modified sine wave inverter, wall or pure sine wave inverter. Voltage drop to the modified sine wave inverter didnt change the output either.

It has been down the grand already and is headed out on another trip. Easy build. I also built one to fit in a rocket box for a friend. Not a super cheap build but works great!
unlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018   #9

Arnold, California
It sounds eerily similar except I was reticent to go the inverter path. You wouldn't happen to have pics of it do you?

Cheers,
Dave
Old 07-11-2018   #10

utah county, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
a second for pics and a schematic please.
royal is offline   Reply With Quote