Want to buy - 9.5-10.5 ft raft and small frame - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-12-2016   #1

littleton, Colorado
Want to buy - 9.5-10.5 ft raft and small frame

**Originally posted this in the classifieds, but was suggested I move it here, since I'm not selling or swapping anything** FNG mistake.

Hello folks. I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the sport of rafting.

Definitely caught the bug. I have a tandem IK that I take out on moderate rivers. Most strenuous I have ever run is the Blue below Green Mountain when the flows were kinda high. I'd like to learn to do more, but also happy to do mellow floats and enjoy the scenery. I also like to fly fish. It is tough to fish from the IK. I also have an Outcast Commander that is better for fishing, but I like to fish with friends and to take other less experienced fishermen out and get them into some fish. My dear old dad can't really wade anymore, so a fishing raft would be perfect for going with him.

So I'm looking for a small raft with frame/ oars so that I can take another fisherman with me. Or my kids can sit on the front seat. Or take the frame off and we can all paddle together. You get the idea.

I know a 10.5 raft will be a little cramped as a fishing setup, but I have to work with what I have space for in my garage and a lack of trailer. Rafts in this size range seem to be small enough and light enough that I could put them on the roof for short shuttles back to camp or another run.

Ideally I'm looking for a complete setup - basic frame, raft, oarlocks oars. But if I get a good deal on the raft, I can buy a frame and oars separately. Doesn't have to be perfect condition, since I'm a beginner and will probably put some scuffs and scrapes on it right away anyway (at least if the condition of my IK is anything to go by).

Like everyone, I have a limited budget. But I'm also realistic about how rafts and equipment hold their value. If you have a setup like this that you are looking to sell please PM me, and we can talk. I'm located near Denver and happy to travel to see stuff within a reasonable distance.

Mike

Mike N is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
10.5 ft Raft and Frame

Take a look at the BWO fram at Riverboatworks.com . There are some additional pictures of our frame on a Mini-Max , on the Hyside website.

We also use a RMR Storm with the same set up.

Call if you have questions.

719-539-9323
Old 05-12-2016   #3

littleton, Colorado
Believe me, I have been coveting the BWO frame for some time! Plus it is from a well respected Colorado company! Its a bit out of my frame price range right now (think something held together by duct tape as a guide to current funds)

I'm hoping I can find a minimalist frame for now on the cheap, play with the boat a bit, and then I can add a better frame later.

Or what is probably more likely is that I'll decide I need a bigger boat, a deluxe 4 bay double rail frame with diamond plate floors, and a trailer, and a truck to pull it all with....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2016   #4

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I just ordered a RMR storm 10.5' raft for $1600.. I'm really excited to have a little boat and am going to go pick it up on Saturday. I looked at used storms but the 2016 model is 4 inches wider and that made my decision easier to go new. Row frame makes a frame for the mini me and RMR or similar boats for around $250. I was lucky enough to have enough spare NRS pipe and cross bars laying around my shop that all I need is to add a foot/cross bar and oar towers and I'm done... It might not be the used deal that you are looking for but a new storm and row frame is a pretty economical way to get on the river..

Link to row frame http://www.rowframe.com/minimeclonerowchassis.html
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I saw these advertised on this site the other day. I want a small raft too but cant really afford another boat financially or free time wise... but I want one all the same. I dont know much about Maxxon but it's a bit cheaper than some of the other options.
Maxxon XSB-320 Whitewater Raft
mtnparty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016   #6

salmon, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnparty View Post
I saw these advertised on this site the other day. I want a small raft too but cant really afford another boat financially or free time wise... but I want one all the same. I dont know much about Maxxon but it's a bit cheaper than some of the other options.
Maxxon XSB-320 Whitewater Raft

I looked to see what the price was on these when they came out.. Maxxon are a glued boat and for 2 or 3 hundred more you can get a welded boat in the RMR storm.. Also they only have 22" between the tubes which really limits you what cooler you can use. and they are 4'9" wide which seems really narrow to me. The storm has 28" between the tubes and is 5'2" wide..
Old 05-12-2016   #7

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
**Originally posted this in the classifieds, but was suggested I move it here, since I'm not selling or swapping anything** FNG mistake.
I imagine it will slide this time, but there is a section in the classifieds specifically for want ads...
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016   #8

littleton, Colorado
Thanks CodyCleve! That's a good price and my budget can stretch to that I think. I like the welded construction on the RMR's. I'll follow up on this.
Old 05-12-2016   #9

littleton, Colorado
Imyers - sorry about that!

I thought I had fixed the problem by moving it here out of the classifieds.
Bear with me through these technical difficulties.
Old 05-12-2016   #10

salmon, Idaho
if you do go the RMR storm and row frame route don't just order the mini me frame from row frame. The storm has a little longer flat section at 56 3/4" inches and is a little wider with the tube center to center being a little wider at 45". I am putting my frame together this Saturday and will share the dimensions and a pic once it's done.