Old 02-12-2018   #1
Beater

Salt Lake City, Utah
Vinyl lattice on plywood decking for trailer

In an old thread, Panama Red cryptically posted:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post441237

Then in another thread:
https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...tml#post389992

Which begs the question. Is the (relatively) cheap vinyl lattice appropriate for a trailer deck? Especially (in my case) an attempt to prolong the life of plywood on a flatbed trailer. The price is right at $21 for a .20 inch thick by 4x8 foot section of material at Home Depot. Attaching it seems like a no-brainer on my trailer with carriage bolts already through the plywood into the steel supports.

Is this a waste of money? Will UV degradation render any benefit moot?

(Next time I re-deck the trailer, I am taking a page from boat builders and their so-called 'poor-man's fiberglass' by using canvas and titebond II or III then exterior paint on the plywood...)

Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018   #2

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
HDPE. Youíll never look at another option if you go this route. Load and unload by yourself, sure itís more than $21 but you wonít have to redo it every 3 years either.
cnw1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #3

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Yeah, HDPE. Is there a Menards near you? They sell a 4x8x1/4" sheet for around $50. Works awsome.

I've never heard of the poor mans fiberglass, but I don't imagine it can be all that cheap (it'll take a lot of titebond and canvas isn't exactly free). I'd redeck with Trex as long as you have enough supports. If not I'd just do plywood with nothing but a good quality deck water proofing (not Thompson's water seal) and then reuse the HDPE runners you build in the near future. I wouldn't cover the entire deck in HDPE as you'll end up on your arse when trying to load/unload. You want a grippy section in the middle to walk on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2018   #4

NE, Oregon
I'm very happy with MDO plywood. No maintaince, only a little more expensive than regular plywood, slick enough to slide a boat.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018   #5

Up shites creek, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I'm in the market for new decking on my boat. You think MDO would hold up better than marine grade plywood?
Old 02-13-2018   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesimapirate View Post
I'm in the market for new decking on my boat. You think MDO would hold up better than marine grade plywood?
I'm starting year number 3 with my MDO decking and I highly recommend it. But I doubt anyone could say it would hold up better... it's probably splitting hairs on durability but what it is, is cheaper and way easier to find. It's not as pretty though, just a brown paper bag brown. If you want a varnished, "wood" finish, I'd go marine. If you're going to coat it with something not clear, I'd go MDO... Well actually I spar varnished my MDO and I like it, but I'm strange...
Old 02-13-2018   #7

NE, Oregon
I use MDO on my boats for side rails and beaver tails. Going on 5 or 6 years, 400-600 miles per year with no problems.
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018   #8
Beater

Salt Lake City, Utah
After checking out at their website, I wish there was a Menards close by...

So, for trailer decking, I assume you would use 3/4" MDO, what about for a drop bay cover over 50" wide?
Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018   #9

Belgrade, Montana
I've only used MDO in 3/4" but I bet you could get away with 1/2" It's pretty stiff and has less voids than most ACX. I have built 1/2" decks out of ACX that didn't really hold up well. No failures per say, but they did get surface cracks over time, which get wet, then bigger and swell and start checking.... When I redid them with MDO, I just went 3/4". I did debate going thinner for the weight savings but decided the stiffness and longevity were more important. The 1/2" decks also had a tendency to bow, especially my rear deck/table. The current 3/4"ers are flat as a board, so to speak...

I guess I'm not really giving you an answer, just thoughts... maybe others will have a direct comparison.

And, maybe you could find 5/8"... I would certainly consider that for both the trailer (depending on supports) and certainly for decking.
Old 02-14-2018   #10

Belgrade, Montana
oh, and you can get MDO at most real lumberyards too. In fact, they might have a more educated opinion on which thickness would be best.