Vanguard A6 valve question - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-09-2015   #1

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Vanguard A6 valve question

I have a used Vanguard 14' SB, and noticed the floor seems a bit softer than some other manufacturer's boats. I have checked every inch of the floor, and no, I don't have any leaks. What I did find is I have a blue dot Leafield A6 value, which should be a 2# valve. Holly rates her floor to 2.9#, so the valve could be the problem. But, I have also spoken to some other people, and their reaction is "it's an I-beam floor, they don't take pressure well".

I got the boat used from a outfitter, who uses Vgards as mostly a paddle boat on Shoshone, and who may/may not have replaced the valve. Holly is reportedly in Europe, Clavey isn't sure, no one at the outfitter remembers replacing the valve on a boat they sold five years ago.

So, do any Vgard 1402 owners know what A6 valve their boats have, and is it stock, or did you replace it?

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #2
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
Is the PRV releasing before the floor is stiff? It could have some grit in it that is letting it release a little earlier than it would if it was clean. Those things are so finicky, always on the verge of leaking . Clean it up and see if that helps.

Not sure if the VG comes with a blue dot or not but I all but guarantee that the PRV has been changed over the years at the outfitters. It is the number one cause of floor leaks in the shop. If she rates her floors to 2.9 you could bump up to brown for sure (2.25), probably even white (2.5). Most VG floors I have dealt with are pretty damn stiff so I'd say make sure it is clean and if it is, bump up.

(disclaimer: if you rely on a prv of any dot color to release and not blow I beams Raftfix has no responsibility).
Old 07-09-2015   #3

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
My 14' Vanguard has Leafield C7 valves on all chambers including the floor. I can pump the floor stiff enough that there is hardly any flex at all. Way stiffer than my NRS. The only time the PRV valve has gone off is when the boat is fully loaded for a muti day, then I just bled off a little air.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2015   #4

The floor should be pretty hard but just like Z said, PRVís are notorious for having issues. Holly sent me a new one at one point and just said they go bad all the time. Could have some grit, but also shoot a spray or two of 303 in there to condition the rubber. I usually do that all round too.

Honestly, Iím not sure the prvís arenít more trouble than they are worth. You can buy a rubber plug made to fit the top, I generally use that. I donít think it makes it airtight but seems to help a bit keeping the pressure up.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #5
Sponsoring Vendors

Just realized I misspoke. Brown dot is 2.5 and white dot is 2.75. I'd go brown.
Old 07-09-2015   #6

Oh and I don't know what color mine is... I could check tonight.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #7

Carbondale, Colorado
My 5 year old 1402 Vanguard came equipped stock with a Leafield A6 Blue Dot PRV. I replaced it with a new A6 blue, and it pretty much started leaking right away. Somehow in my ignorance (since I didn't realize until now that there were different rated prv's), I ordered the "correct" replacement PRV and didn't get a 6 lb valve and trash my floor. That being said, the floor is always too soft, so a brown dot prv sounds interesting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vanguard PRV.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	10251  
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #8
Sponsoring Vendors

I clean my PRV after every trip. It takes 2 minutes. Those things leak once the first grain of sand gets in there.
Old 07-09-2015   #9

Silt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Pardon my ignorance, where is the dot? Is it on the top's of the valve as in watermonkey's pic? I've never seen one on mine. Great info! I never knew there were different PSI ratings on those.
Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I've got a 14ft VG too. I've had to replace the PRV a few times and it always fixes a soft floor. That being said, getting it to be firm hasn't been an issue. Until know I didn't realize there were different types of PRV's...
Time to go look for a small dot.
Love the Buzz... Always learning stuff here.
thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote