Vanguard 15' MFS load plan. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-14-2016   #1

Star, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
Vanguard 15' MFS load plan.

Looking for feedback on my load plan to run the MFS in my new 15 ft Vanguard Venture Series raft. Thwarts are taken out. Frame is a modified NRS Bighorn II. A huge thank you to Darren at FrontierPlay.com for all his help and guidance in setting this up! Looking for more feedback or critiques on how to make it even better.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1465939901.503417.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	11748

tacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016   #2

guess I don't quite understand, are you moving the rowing seat back to the dry box?

Here's how I run my 14 vanguard on multi-day trips:
front bay is drop bag and nrs table. I put lots of misc stuff in the drop bag, firepan, rescue stuff, chairs, squirt guns, cases of pop/beer, collapsable buckets, handwash, pump. I can fit the groover in there if I rearrange.
Yeti goes behind that, rolled pacos on either side of the cooler; then rowers bay, I don't have captains boxes but they'd be nice. I have a foot bar behind the cooler with the umbrella mount in the middle.
I sit on the dry box and use the gear pile to lean against.
that dry box is either extra storage for misc gear, dutch ovens, food etc. on trips with lots of boats. or on trips with fewer boats it's the kitchen box. Two 7 gallon water cubes fit on either side of the dry box on top of the tubes.
In the back I can stack a layer of 5 buckets, gamma sealed for food. At least three of those buckets will be stacked into empty buckets for handwashing or dishes. On top of that layer goes the dry bags, then a king sling over the pile.

The problem on the vanguard is the thickness of the floor cuts into the cargo volume so you have to pack well. it's not a very deep boat. I've changed a lot of cross bars around over time
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #3

Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Two spare oars on mfs for me.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016   #4
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Sitting on the dry box like osprey says will give you some more space, could also ditch the foot bar and brace off the cooler if you don't need the adjustability for multiple rowers. Good chance a York pack would fit in the stern, and make a good spot for a dry bag to use as your back rest (Strap it in the cradle the two boxes create). Pile some dry bags on top and around it.
Not a bad set up, but there is more space to be found in that rig if you need it more then adjustability.
Don't use my seat and foot bar any more, got some extra towers and side rails, and turned 'em into my day frame.
Old 06-14-2016   #5
Misspellingintothefuture!

Tabernash, Colorado
Make SURE you are good with the set up if you ditch the seat and foot bar.
Old 06-15-2016   #6

Star, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1997
Thanks Osprey. Crazy as it sounds, I am actually considering both seats. I like your idea of the buckets inside each other. I tend to get the heavy cooler, and heavier items on group trips(my choice of course!), so balancing the weight isn't an issue. The alternative is to stack cots/chairs on top of dry box and lay a paco pad over it to sit on. I'll have 4 on this trip on my boat. Thanks for the feedback!
tacdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
With 3 passengers you will need the front well of the boat clear of any equipment. You will be very close to capacity on that boat if not exceeding it with 4 of you on it. If you can rig the rear section to be flat that can make for a nice passenger perch. I'd rethink the option of putting a paco pad over chairs as a seat, that sounds horrible. Ditto the comment on second spare oar, if not you will want to rig an oar 'rest' to hang it when not in use. Diagrams are nice but it will likely change when the reality of put-in arrives. Have fun!
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #8

Aurora, Colorado
It doesn't look like there's much room left for beer. . .
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #9

4 adults or two kids, two adults? I think two seats is a major waste of space. Even if you donít want to sit on the dry box and leave the rest the same, you could strap a nice gear pile on top of it. Kids tend to congregate on one or two boats anyway, three people will fit no problem on the table for running rapids. On the smooth water I usually have one or two sprawled out on the gear pile in the back. For the front we like those crazy creek style chairs to kick back in. Or one can lay over the cooler too. Youíll have plenty of room.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016   #10

Post Falls, Idaho
I'd ditch the seat bar, row from the dry box and add a 2nd drop bag with the reclaimed space, or have one less bay and a huge drop bag. Those seat bars really create an odd bay that's hard to utilize.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote