Vangaurd (PVC) boat leak floor - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2019   #1

Vangaurd (PVC) boat leak floor

Went to patch a slow leak on the floor of my Vanguard. I found that it is leaking air out at all of the drain holes. It must be traveling along the seam where the top and bottom of the floor are laminated and comes out at the drain holes.

Is this typical of a PVC boat? I don't see much point in fixing the scrapes that are slow leaking since the drain holes appear to leak more.

jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
Sounds like the V tape has let loose where the top and bottom floor meet. This is not an easy fix on a hypalon floor. I did it once on an Avon with the help of a professional raft repair friend and I wouldn't try it alone after seeing what it took to do it.

I suggest it's time to call a professional and get a quote.....or sell it and get a different boat.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019   #3
Sponsoring Vendors

Paddling Since: 1994
The Vanguard is likely a pvc boat but that doesn't make the repair much easier.
Is there a bulge anywhere along the perimeter of the floor?
If there is, it makes it easier to identify where the weakness in the interior V tape is. If not and it is leaking out of every bailing hole the floor could be on its way out. Diagnosing the problem spot and repairing it can get real expensive if there is not a definitive spot where the leak stems from. You could go the interior sealant route if the leaks are slow. You can have moderate to good success with that if it is a good candidate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2019   #4

All the holes. No eternal bulging, obvious damage, etc. What's the internal sealant approach/technique?

Zach-if you do internal sealant I can email for a quote.

I don't want to have this taken apart and fix v tape but I think it's a good candidate for internal sealant. Slow leak through all the drain holes. I generally need to top it off from .1 bar to .2 bar in the morning. Thought it was a couple scratches but snoop leak detector says it is that plus the v tape...
jeffro is offline   Reply With Quote