Valves on inside of tubes? - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-26-2014   #1

TV, Idaho
Valves on inside of tubes?

If this has been covered already, I apologize. My search-fu may be weak.

I'd be very interested to hear experiences on placing valves inside the tubes vs. outside the tubes.

Having your valves on the inside seems very convenient for topping off on the river. But it seems that it could get very inconvenient if your frame and/or cargo interfere with easily accessing them.

Any thoughts? Am I over thinking this? It's not like you need to get at the valves every hour.

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Matt

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014   #2

Angel Fire, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2004
Unless you are planning to operate your boat regularly as a paddle boat I would recommend placing them on the outside.
backwardsraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Valves on the inside = pain in the ass.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have one friend who's valves are on the inside. Last spring he had an issue with a leaky valve/soft tube. The valve was very difficult to reach because of the frame. He got it figured out, but not before a lot of work and profanity.
Old 01-26-2014   #5

Fairbanks, Alaska
I think that you could locate the valves on the outside away from paddler's stroke but if you fish a lot, inside might be better. With that said, I fish out of my boats a good bit and still would put them outside next time.
knucklenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #6
fat guy in a little boat

FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
commercially we run 16ft achilles that have the valves on the inside. it's an unbelievable pain in the ass getting in between them on the stack to pump them with the blower every morning. probly the worst part of my day.

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Valves on the inside = pain in the ass.
Yup.
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014   #8
Jared

Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
keep em out

My center tubes face inboard, and my bow/stern tubes face out, opposite of each other. I wish they all faced out. the centers are a pain in the ass, and if I add captain's boxes I'll have to pull them out to access the valves. They belong on the outside IMHO.
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I thought long and hard on this when I ordered my new boat. I fish a lot and do a fair number of overnighters. My previous boats all had them on the outside, scattered to where I had to move to each everytime. I usually top off once in the water and always found that to be a royal pain. The other issue is they all seem to be placed so my spare oars and rod holders are always covering the valves, so I was forevever fighting stuff to get topped off.

So on my new boat I put the side valves on the inside just behind center so they will always be in my captains bay. I put the front one inside of front and the back one outside off center of the back. I know it seems like a strange arrangement but based on my launch routine, I'll have the stern at anchor, so I can hit that with the pump from shore, then jump inside, top off the two side chambers and then take a seat up front and finish off the front. So far I really like it, but i've only had it in the water twice.

Fishing is why I wanted the bow inside and the stern outside, least likely to act as a flyline catcher. As for the captains bay placement, I really like my space in that bay so I doubt I will every put captains boxes in it and the valves are basically centered in the bay, so if I change the frame around, they will still be accessible. If I had it my way I would have had all 4 centered in the captains bay, but alas there was no seem in the area so I would have had to pay a redisgn fee to add one which I didn't see being worth it. Time will tell if i really like it. But I know I'll like it alot more then my other boats so far!
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014   #10

TV, Idaho
Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts and experiences!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I thought long and hard on this when I ordered my new boat. I fish a lot and do a fair number of overnighters. My previous boats all had them on the outside, scattered to where I had to move to each everytime. I usually top off once in the water and always found that to be a royal pain. The other issue is they all seem to be placed so my spare oars and rod holders are always covering the valves, so I was forevever fighting stuff to get topped off.

So on my new boat I put the side valves on the inside just behind center so they will always be in my captains bay. I put the front one inside of front and the back one outside off center of the back. I know it seems like a strange arrangement but based on my launch routine, I'll have the stern at anchor, so I can hit that with the pump from shore, then jump inside, top off the two side chambers and then take a seat up front and finish off the front. So far I really like it, but i've only had it in the water twice.

Fishing is why I wanted the bow inside and the stern outside, least likely to act as a flyline catcher. As for the captains bay placement, I really like my space in that bay so I doubt I will every put captains boxes in it and the valves are basically centered in the bay, so if I change the frame around, they will still be accessible. If I had it my way I would have had all 4 centered in the captains bay, but alas there was no seem in the area so I would have had to pay a redisgn fee to add one which I didn't see being worth it. Time will tell if i really like it. But I know I'll like it alot more then my other boats so far!
Thanks, elkhaven. I like this idea. I picked out a boat that has the valves laid out like yours except the stern valve is also inside. I'm checking to see if they can add a second stern valve to the outside of the tubes. That was the one valve I was the most concerned about as it will be the most likely to be buried in gear. Otherwise, I think I'll stick with the boat I had picked out. Fishing is also my priority, so I think this will make good sense. I guess we'll see!

Thanks, again.
M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote