Vacuum Sealer Recommendations? - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-22-2017   #1

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Vacuum Sealer Recommendations?

Hey Collective,

I'm looking to pick up a vacuum sealer to use for sealing up river meals- stews, pasta dishes, breakfast stuff, meats...

Any advice on one that works well at a decent price?

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017   #2

laramie, wy
Paddling Since: 2010
Don't get the cheap 50 dollar sealameal from k-mart. That thing sucks I wish I spent the extra 50 bucks on another brand. I'm kinda curious what people recommend too.
Kirks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #3
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I've never owned an expensive one but have been happy with cheap Seal-A-Meal I bought. I only really use it for river trips to save space and protect from sitting in cooler water. The bags/rolls are expensive so if you are going to use it a bunch the difference in initial cost will be small in the long run.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2017   #4

Parker, Colorado
Weston Pro 2300. Not cheap. Neither is rafting gear. Will last a lifetime.
Westons suck, whereas the foodsavers don't suck.....but foodsavers do suck.
Wait a minute???....
Just remember to partially freeze prior to sealing. It'll seal better.
ColoradoJudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017   #5

Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I started with a Foodsaver model. It worked for about 3 years. Then about 10 years ago I bought a Rival model, which cost much less, and have been pleased with it ever since.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #6

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I have been using an upright model food saver similar to this one.

https://www.amazon.com/FoodSaver-Aut...89%3AFoodSaver

It has been working pretty well. I have used it a lot as in the spring I vacuum seal smoked steel head, then in the summer i vacuum seal a lot of vegetables that come out of the garden and meals for raft trips.. Then in the fall i vacuum seal at least one deer and one elk..

I love using it for river trips. i make a jambalaya a lot on trips and i just prepare everything, measure it, chop it, then vacuum seal it. at camp you just start cutting open bags and dump it in a pot. I love the simplicity of it and the work you put in at home is well worth the ease on the river.

As mentioned above if you can swing it i would go for the weston, or the cabelas which i'm sure is a weston knock off. But they are expensive.
codycleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #7

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
We had a super cheap, no frills, FoodSaver for probably 5 years. We were happy with it until it crapped out, so we bought another, nicer FoodSaver. It did about one Grand trip for us before it broke down, too, around a year old. Won't be buying another FoodSaver.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #8

Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I messaged a friend of mine who does lots of boil in a bag group river meals and he recommended a Food Saver brand vacuum sealer.

He said the bag stock is some of the tougher kind available which makes them good for boil in a bag and general storage too.

From their web site it looks like they have some quality sealers for $100 or less- looks like I'll drop in on one and start pre-making meals for the upcoming season...

Thanks for the ideas
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #9
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have made waterproof maps by printing what I want, slipping it into a clear sheet protector, and sealing it up. It works! Don't know if I would have tried it if I spent much on my Seal-A-Meal.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #10

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I've had the Foodsaver Professional 2 for about 10 years now and it works great.

Tip 1 : Before sealing, wet the gasket surfaces with a very small amount of water to soften them up.

Tip 2 : Get the big roll of bag material on Ebay. Same quality at less than 1/2 price. I can feed the material from the rear hinge side to get the first edge sealed and cut since that big roll won't fit inside. Alternately I suppose one could cut it shorter and re-roll it.

Tip 3 : Keep an eye on the juices and don't let them get in the air intakes. Some people seal a paper towel in there if it is especially juicy.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote