V or Z Drag Anchor System for fishing rig - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-24-2013   #1

colorado, Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
V or Z Drag Anchor System for fishing rig

Has anyone out there ever tried to created a V or Z drag system with your raft that is rigged for a fishing frame? I have a Down River fishing frame with "Anchor" system already, but thought by maybe putting carabiner on the eye of the anchor, running a rope thru it back to the boat and back down to the eye where I would tie it off might work better? By doing this, it would basically create a pulley system that would be easier to pull in.

However, I worry about the multiple ropes in the water becoming twisted while anchoring or lowering and then it might be a REAL bitch to pull in. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried to do this.

beetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #2
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
https://www.google.com/search?q=hand...winch&tbm=shop
Old 09-25-2013   #3

That is not what I am after. I have an inflatable raft with a fishing frame. I don't want a crank like that on the back of my raft, plus I don't have the room or a space for it. I am talking about simply adding a carabiner and nothing else to my system. thanks for the link though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013   #4
GoBro

BZN, Montana
For a pulley system to work with an anchor roughly half the hardware needs to be submerged. No bueno for the hardware. Also for the system to be ready and available it will necessarily be a significant entrapment hazard which you have expressed some concern about. I struggle to understand how you can stow an anchor but don't have space for a small hand winch...
Old 09-25-2013   #5

I still don't think you understand my setup. I have a 14 foot inflatable raft with a frame that allows a rope to thru the frame and the over the back side over a small wheel that the anchor is suspended from. That's it. I don't have a place to drill and mount a winch. There is a seat directly above the end of the frame where the anchor simply dangles from. Quite similar to this San Juan. Now where you gonna mount that winch with plenty of room for the handle to operate and how are you gonna be able to stow it away safely while you are in whitewater as I currently can with my existing anchor system?
Old 09-25-2013   #6
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Eh, I don't know what I'm talking about...

Put a water capable large diameter pulley on the anchor. Line is doubled in the water while anchored but you aren't doing that in strong current anyways right? While it's retracted the loop is too small and out of the way to do anything. You will need twice as much rope in the raft but you need to be able to manage the rope anyways right? 2 to 1 simple setup, no mess no winch.
Old 09-25-2013   #7

I have already set it up with my boat and it works just fine in the parking lot or sitting water. The rope is simply coiled up (a small 6 mill line) next to me. I runs to a pulley first right next to the oar seat (as in the picture) then it turns back and runs the frame all the way to the back of the boat, over a small wheel, down the anchor, thru a biner, back up to the boat to a small pulley tied on to the back center d ring and then back down to the anchor. It pulls in like no ones business and is very easy to pull, even though the anchor is 35 lbs! HOWEVER< I have yet to try to deploy that in a moving water as I have in the past with the standarf factory system that works ok, but is tough to pull in. AND THAT MY FRIEND IS WHAT I am asking for any input on. ANYONE OUT THERE EVER DONE THIS? Basically what I have setup is a Z Drag system, just a Z drag for an anchor if that helps. BECAUSE I already have a 2.1 system from the factory. And YES I do anchor in current quite a bit while fishing. Not current fast enough to swamp you or anything like that, but a few knots I guess. And THAT current is WHY pulling in anchor in is more difficult. I sure as hell would not go thru this effort if I where in a lake.
Old 09-25-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Is this what you are talking about? I haven't tried it, but was thinking about it. It's supposed to make the anchor easier to pull up.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #9

Carbondale, Colorado
6 mil seems like a small diamter rope. I don't like the through-frame routing of ropes as it adds significant drag to the system as it runs over the tube bend radii, definitely more than just pulleys like on the NRS setups. Per the description above, you need a pulley at the anchor, not just a biner that the rope runs through. A 2-1 system with a 35# anchor is not a big deal (hell, a 1-1 on a 35# anchor is not that tough), so something seems wrong if you're having that much trouble pulling it - even in moving water. The lead anchor I cast myself comes in at 53#, and my wife or I can haul with a 2-1 with a little effort. Even with only the 2-1, when the anchor rolls and twists the line, it's a bitch to pull until the 2 lines unwrap from each other - you're asking for a headache with a more complicated system.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013   #10

Cataraftgirl, I was talking about an additional pulley (biner) at the anchor and then a pulley at the back of the boat, but I think I am going to try this 2:1 system first because I think it is less likely to tangle than 3 lines in the damn water which is what I have setup.