Utah Raft Trailer Owners? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-15-2013   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Utah Raft Trailer Owners?

I was looking to get my raft trailer licensed and registered, and on the UT DMV page it says that the trailer doesn't need to be registered if it is under 750 pounds. I'm pretty sure mine weighs around 550 pounds, so does that mean that I don't need to register it?

Thanks for any info - BS

BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013   #2

SLC, Utwah
You will not need to license it unless you are using it commercially.
AndTheLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
There is also a length requirement, can't remember what it is now, but my trailer is 19' long and I didn't need to register it.
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013   #4

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Yep....no registration needed if under 700 pounds. I registered mine when I first got it "just because," but stopped after one year when I realized I was wasting money. Idaho has a smaller trailer tag that only costs about $5 a year. Utah only has full sized plates and it costs something like $60-$90 a year. Save your money!
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2001
Thanks everyone, that was what I was hoping to hear. Just wanted to be sure I was legal (at least trailer wise) for Deso next week.
BullSCit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
If it's over the weight limit or double axel trailer you may want to register it. I had a buddy get busted outside of Jackson by a WY cop because his raft trailer wasn't licensed (even though we're from UT). Otherwise keep a box of donuts in the car to offer the cop when he pulls you over and he might overlook it.
Old 08-15-2013   #7
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrain View Post
If it's over the weight limit or double axel trailer you may want to register it. I had a buddy get busted outside of Jackson by a WY cop because his raft trailer wasn't licensed (even though we're from UT). Otherwise keep a box of donuts in the car to offer the cop when he pulls you over and he might overlook it.

I'm pretty sure cops respond better to cute young things with skimpy tops, tears in their eye and the proclamation;
"If you give me a ticket my boyfriend is gonna BEAT my ass!!

And cops no longer like donuts so much. They prefer Croissants
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #8

Salt Lake, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I just bought a new trailer this year and it weighs 950 lbs and is a single axle. The requirement does state that if it is over 750 it needs to be registered. A local police officer told me not to bother because they never pull trailers over for no plates. I decided to go the save route and I did register it. My thought was that if I was in an accident or something that it might cause me a hassle.
Altahills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013   #9

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post

I'm pretty sure cops respond better to cute young things with skimpy tops, tears in their eye and the proclamation;
"If you give me a ticket my boyfriend is gonna BEAT my ass!!

And cops no longer like donuts so much. They prefer Croissants
I'm sure this is true. However, as a middle aged male, I think the cop would prefer donuts over seeing you in a skimpy top.
Old 08-15-2013   #10

p.c., confused
Paddling Since: 1978
in utah when offering a bribe of food it must be with the intent to drink, Coffee or otherwise.
rivh2o is offline   Reply With Quote