Using pvc shower pan material for wear patches on old PVC bucket boat - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 09-22-2014   #1

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Using pvc shower pan material for wear patches on old PVC bucket boat

So I got this buddy... no really, I do, it's not just a euphemism.... any way's he's a cheap bastard and has an old Campways bucket boat that the floor is starting to leak frequently - i.e. several patches this summer. As I said before he's tight with cash and he knows this boat isn't going to last forever... he about chocked at the idea of $27 a foot at NRS for Aire's floor material... As it turns out I have some shower pan liner left over from a project we're thinking about trying to glue with shore adhesive as wear guards.

Again, we have pvc sheet material, fairly thick (comparable to most patch material) but with no denier, that's right no cloth in it we're thinking about using for a last ditch effort to get a few more years out of an old boat without breaking the bank. The thought is to glue it inside the floor, not outside as it's fairly soft, kind of use it as a backer inside...Any ideas? Anyone tried it before? Name calling? Anything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014   #2

bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
hi im Larry...and this is my brother Darrel...and this is my other brother Darrel...lol

its not Larry from butte boat is it?
cut the floor out instant cataraft plus a big chunk of future patch material
mtrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #3

Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Check with the local repair shops and rental fleets for some scrap material cut from dead boats.

The fiber reinforcing is what gives the material tear strength. Without it the material would be iffy for a patch and be unable to add reinforcing any existing worn areas.

Plus you don't really know if it is compatible with the adhesives used. PVC membrane intended for interior use probably doesn't come with UV inhibitors and may not last in full sun.

It makes no sense to add material to the inside of the boat since the likely damage is from the exterior.
The additional material would only add weight and be in the way if you needed to do a real patch in the same area.

There are urethane products you can slosh around the inside of a leaky boat to seal pin holes, but I remember them as kinda pricey.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014   #4

Belgrade, Montana
naup, jest a good 'ol boy from belowgrade... He'll patch it one way t'other.
Old 09-22-2014   #5

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Check the local tent/awning or upholstery shop. They'll have pvc-coated polyester tarp type material.
MT4Runner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kengore View Post
Check with the local repair shops for some scrap material cut from dead boats.

The fiber reinforcing is what gives the material tear strength. Without it the material would be iffy for a patch and be unable to add reinforcing any existing worn areas.

Plus you don't really know if it is compatible with the adhesives used. PVC membrane intended for interior use probably doesn't come with UV inhibitors.
Repair shops in Mailorder Montana? Good idea but the only shop we have would charge $27 a foot for their used material too!

the leaks are all small, I don't think strength will be an issue, the original floor would provide that, just a stop gap to keep from chasing leaks all summer I think is what's he's going for... I told him that laying one big sheet, or even 3 smaller ones would be a PIA so we'll see.

We'd do a test patch for sure to see how if things hold up...but the UV protection is a good thought, hadn't thought about it that way...

FWIW this boat has been known as the SS Hoopty for decades, so the larry, daryl and daryl concept fits right in!
Old 09-22-2014   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I know the local hardware sells that stuff in bulk off the roll. I thought it was EPDM. I know that stuff holds up to the sun and is very durable. I use the stuff quite a bit and it's good stuff. We clean the it with gasoline before gluing it to itself and the glue we use is very similar to shore adhesive.

Jim
Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #8

Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I recall something from a rafting history story about Russian catarafts actually starting out as bucket boats where they cut the floor out. Certainly your bud could find some driftwood to build a frame...

Personally, I suspect this is just a troll for another poverty boats thread.
Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014   #9

Belgrade, Montana
Thanks Jim,

Yeah I got what I currently have at Kenyon Noble and they sold it with a "specialized" pvc cement. I'm pretty certain it's PVC. I think there are several types and that EPDM is one that may be different material? Typically red? Maybe just a different name? I don't know, it's been a while since I researched it...

My thought was to use PVC stuff I have (it's grey) and shore adhesive vs the cement (thinking the cement is probably too aggressive for the old boat material).

I started to wonder about UV since it's typically covered in cement/tile/etc...
Old 09-22-2014   #10

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plecoptera View Post
I recall something from a rafting history story about Russian catarafts actually starting out as bucket boats where they cut the floor out. Certainly your bud could find some driftwood to build a frame...
Funny, I'll tell him... No he's been running this boat for a while, with a frame, oars and everything, it's really great. Alternate solutions don't always need to be backwoods... maybe he could use the driftwood to club himself some dinner though!