Used raft value - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-19-2019   #1

Used raft value

I have a NRS E 142 self bailing raft with all the gear I want to sell. Its about 16 years old. Is there a market for this and how much should I ask for it?

sunshineseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
There's always a market for used rafts. Post up a few pics and a list of what you've got with regards to all the gear and we may be able to help you.
Guessing rubber is worth $1500 or so, frame depends on what it is, 150-500, coolers, dry boxes, ammo cans, everything bags, side boards, groover, type of oars all add value to some degree.
jonseim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019   #3

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
Into that 15-20 year range, it seems that hypalon boats hold their value better. That's when PVC boats are often starting to get chalky and/or leaky.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-19-2019   #4
My name isn't Will

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1997
I don't want to admit how much I paid for a 15-year old E-150 three years ago. It was a little more than it should have been, but she's mine now. She also was well-apportioned with boxes and other gear (spar oarlock, pumps, cargo system, three thwarts that I likely will never use, and a couple items I got rid of). Also, she was VERY lightly used. I likely have used her more than either of the previous two owners. I expect another decade out of her.

Poke around here and Craigslist and see what folks are asking for similar set-ups in similar condition. Just ignore that guy in Englewood, Colorado (also Eugene, Oregon) with the overpriced Avon.
Old 07-19-2019   #5
LSB
Renaissance Redneck

Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Depends on if you want to hook someone up or make some money... I'd guess between 1500 and 3K$. Maybe call and see if NRS can give you a solid figure.
Old 07-20-2019   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Amette View Post
Poke around here and Craigslist and see what folks are asking for similar set-ups in similar condition. Just ignore that guy in Englewood, Colorado (also Eugene, Oregon) with the overpriced Avon.

And remember, what folks are asking for their gear, what its worth, and what they will get for it are 3 different things. I see boats on Craigslist with a price and go WTF??? Really don't want to sell that do you?.

Funny that you should mention Avon's. I'm an Avon snob, yes, I own nothing else in a round boat, and love them. While I have had my big water boat, a Pro, professionally restored, including original Avon material "D" rings and a new yellow Rub Strake, were I looking to buy another I'd pay a premium just cause it's an Avon, nothing else out there handles like an Avon, be it a oarframe or paddleboat.

As there wasn't a link (and no, I'm not in the market for another boat) I can't comment on the guys in Englewood or Eugene, but I have seen fully rigged Pro's go for 5 to 8 grand depending on what was included and the year / condition, all day long.

There are a lot of us snob's out there that believe them to be simply the best boats made for our purposes.

FWIW
MNichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019   #7

montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineseeker View Post
I have a NRS E 142 self bailing raft with all the gear I want to sell. Its about 16 years old. Is there a market for this and how much should I ask for it?

Can't say how much your package is worth without knowing exactly what condition it's in and exactly what "all the gear" is.

Could be $1,000 for a well used boat with paddles and helmets, or it could be worth $8,000 for a flawless boat with a high end diamond plate frame and top of the line custom everything.

I would suggest comparing your boat to a new rocky mountain raft and retail value of all the gear included. Then lower the price enough to make it worth someones time to deal with a private party purchase. If your e-series is in really great shape it could add some value over a new Rocky Mountain Raft because the material is more desirable, but if I were shopping for a boat, I would find it hard to justify buying a 16 year old boat for more than a new Rocky Mountain with a warranty.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019   #8

Defiance, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Honestly a boat and equipment of that vintage is trash and should be responsibly recycled. I am in a giving mood today, if you bring it to my location I will see that it is responsibly disposed of for $500
noahfecks is offline   Reply With Quote