Used 13' Puma Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-09-2016   #1

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
Used 13' Puma Questions

My roommate bought a Aire puma series raft this winter and we are working on rigging it for the river. We measured the length and width and came up with:

Length: 13'1"
Outside width: 5'4"
Inside width: 25" (maybe 26")

This does not match any current puma series rafts???

His gf ordered two super puma thwarts (raft didn't come with any) based on the length for Christmas but obviously these will not work.

From looking at NRS they don't currently have puma thwarts online, and i am not sure that a puma thwart would work anyway.

Can anyone shed some light on this raft?

Rogue1832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2016   #2

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Raft designs are always evolving for every manufacturer including Aire. There was a similar discussion recently when a user was not able to match an older boat to the wire drawings of the current design. With the S/N Aire can give you the exact specs of your boat. Give them a call and they will be able to sell you some thwarts that match your boat.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #3

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Puma 11, super 13'
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Sounds like an older design "skinny" super puma. Talk to Aire, they'll make sure you get what you need. They will custom make you some thwarts to fit if it's an older model.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #5

Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
The folks at Aire are very helpful. I am with these guys^^^^. Every question l have ever Aire goes out of the way to answer.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #6

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
Puma 11, super 13'
Along came the spider, I didn't even think about that but Spider is right.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #7
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
It is defiantly a Super Puma. Check the serial number, you can tell the year from the last 2 digits. Assuming it is older, does it have a foam or air floor? Inside tube to tube is aprox 26 inches when there are no thwarts. True dimension is 29 in, as that is what the thwart is. The thwarts are great as they can be attached anywhere you want. I recommend three thwarts (stock on the Super Puma). You can make sure alignment is good by counting lace holes until placement. Strap from thwart and then 5 to 7 lace holes to the other strap from thwart. Then mark the inside edge of the boat with a sharpie at the location on both sides. You can then adjust thwarts forward or back based on your marks. If the lacing looks damaged, replace it over a 12 pack ASAP. I also use chain link "quick links" through the floor lacing to give alternate tie down points on the floor.
Old 04-10-2016   #8

Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
Super Pumas are 13' long, regular Pumas are 11' long. Not sure what the length of the newer Super Duper Pumas are though. My SP (1998 make) only came with two thwarts, is 13' long and roughly the same width you described. Contact Aire, not NRS, for parts, they were helpful when we blew a bladder on the N Fork Payette and I recommend getting spare bladder so you have one if you need it. If it was made in the last 10 years (look at S/N), then it should still be under warranty and Aire's good about honoring those.
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016   #9
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Way to take the hard road

The easy road:

1. Find serial number on boat.

2. Call Aire.

3. Order thwarts for that model, they will make some up if they don't have them in stock to match that model.

I ordered new aire cells for an old puma last year and they had to look up the specs for that model to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue1832 View Post
My roommate bought a Aire puma series raft this winter and we are working on rigging it for the river. We measured the length and width and came up with:

Length: 13'1"
Outside width: 5'4"
Inside width: 25" (maybe 26")

This does not match any current puma series rafts???

His gf ordered two super puma thwarts (raft didn't come with any) based on the length for Christmas but obviously these will not work.

From looking at NRS they don't currently have puma thwarts online, and i am not sure that a puma thwart would work anyway.

Can anyone shed some light on this raft?
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote