Urethane fabric vs Urethane coating - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-04-2013   #1

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Urethane fabric vs Urethane coating

So,, I need new tubes. I have the option of getting urethane material or getting PVC material and having it Urethane coated. I'm going to do one or the other for sure, but is there any advantage one way or the other? I'm curions about adhesion properties, weight and durabilty.

ob1coby is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #2
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
I think the sprayed on urethane is more abrasion resistant. I saw a very tall guy this year at Lochsa who blew a sotar tube setting them on sharp rocks.He was driving an old fire truck I think. Sparayed on offers that extra protection where the standard urethane is taking the punishment directly on the fabric. I just ordered up a new set of tubes out of a new material that is not urethane or pvc and has better abrasion resistance and uv resistance. I will send you the info,they can send you a picture of the new prototype pontoons,they also spray urethane if you want. This new fabric they developed and the pontoon is also coming with a 10 year warranty.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #3

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
I think the sprayed on urethane is more abrasion resistant. I saw a very tall guy this year at Lochsa who blew a sotar tube setting them on sharp rocks.He was driving an old fire truck I think. Sparayed on offers that extra protection where the standard urethane is taking the punishment directly on the fabric. I just ordered up a new set of tubes out of a new material that is not urethane or pvc and has better abrasion resistance and uv resistance. I will send you the info,they can send you a picture of the new prototype pontoons,they also spray urethane if you want. This new fabric they developed and the pontoon is also coming with a 10 year warranty.
I see Orto is spreading Canyon Gospel again!! He lives in Boise but doesn't respond to PM when I tell him I wanna buy his Maravia silverback pad. Just say it. Www.canyoninflatables.com. New materials are coming soon. Their boxes are solid, FYI!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2013   #4
swimming

Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
I see Orto is spreading Canyon Gospel again!! He lives in Boise but doesn't respond to PM when I tell him I wanna buy his Maravia silverback pad. Just say it. Www.canyoninflatables.com. New materials are coming soon. Their boxes are solid, FYI!
I never saw your post on my silverback pad, sorry about that. I am waiting to get my set tubes before I spread the gospel you must have got a spy photo or a peek at the video also huh ?

I know if I was running a boat hard and dragging over rocks etc and fishing it would be a maravia style boat with sprayed urethane.
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #5

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
All I know is I have had an Aire 156r for 4 seasons now and just got a12.5 Sotar legend this year. I have abused the shit out of the aire and it takes everything I throw at it and looks new. Ive been pretty gentle on the Legend and have already had to patch a hole. The legend seems to scuff and wear faaaaaar more easily than the aire. Ive noticed unusually rough wear around a couple of the D rings that I'm thinking about preemptively patching before they lose structural integrity. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought the observation might be relevant. I just assumed when I bought the legend it would be as durable as the aire but in my experience its not even close.
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013   #6

portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdc2 View Post
All I know is I have had an Aire 156r for 4 seasons now and just got a12.5 Sotar legend this year. I have abused the shit out of the aire and it takes everything I throw at it and looks new. Ive been pretty gentle on the Legend and have already had to patch a hole. The legend seems to scuff and wear faaaaaar more easily than the aire. Ive noticed unusually rough wear around a couple of the D rings that I'm thinking about preemptively patching before they lose structural integrity. Didn't mean to hijack this thread but thought the observation might be relevant. I just assumed when I bought the legend it would be as durable as the aire but in my experience its not even close.
My same experience between my Aire and others Sotar. Their frames have even worn through their tubes. They do have an advantage in weight and ability to put away wet without mildew smell in the tubes
Old 08-04-2013   #7

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post

My same experience between my Aire and others Sotar. Their frames have even worn through their tubes. They do have an advantage in weight and ability to put away wet without mildew smell in the tubes
I've actually started to notice aggressive frame wear marks as well. Guess I'll just have to be super careful and not throw it around like the aire.
Old 08-05-2013   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcdc2 View Post
Was the Legend purchased brand new? Have you talked with Sotar about your issues? I'm considering a Sotar purchase, and since they are a rare bird in Utah, I'd like to find out the experiences of others. I have owned Maravia cats for many years and they are bomber. The weight savings & customization aspects are drawing me to Sotar.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #9

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I drive Sotars commercially, on half and full day trips in the Royal Gorge. I have observed wear on the bottom of the boats in spots where there is an overlap, or bulge. I attribute this to the aggressive loading and unloading we do constantly, twice a day, along with sometimes dragging the boats at the beach. We have had a few patches- perhaps 5 out of 40 boats over the last 4 years. We have lots of sharp rock in the Gorge, and with low water the last two years, we hit plenty of rocks. I have been satisfied with their durability. We have factory installed urethane wear strips on the tops of the tubes that have adhered well.

I have driven NRS, Maravias, AIREs, Vanguards, Achilles and Wings over the years, and with the exception of Wing, these Sotars are far and away the nicest boats I've driven. They're light, they track like crazy but still turn easily, they bail quickly. Before driving these boats at work, I probably would have gone for an NRS or Avon for my personal boat. Now I own an 18' Sotar.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post

Was the Legend purchased brand new? Have you talked with Sotar about your issues? I'm considering a Sotar purchase, and since they are a rare bird in Utah, I'd like to find out the experiences of others. I have owned Maravia cats for many years and they are bomber. The weight savings & customization aspects are drawing me to Sotar.
We bought it used but it only had about 100 river miles so basically new. The wear I've seen has mostly been from regular scenarios like trailering,loading and unloading and some excessive frame wear that makes me nervous. The boat is nice and light and handles amazing when on the river. Im in slc if you ever want to take a look in person it would be no problem, might help you to check out the fabric in person. I love the boat but the more I see the random wear in the fabric the more I wonder if I shouldve gone wave destroyer instead.