Un-necessary gear on a raft => Hazards - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-20-2018   #1

McCall, Idaho
Un-necessary gear on a raft => Hazards

Rafting the day stretch of the Salmon out of Riggins yesterday with some friends I learned a valuable lesson. I had my raft rigged with oar frame and box/cooler, also stern frame attached from a previous trip. I decided to let it roll with both frames, as it was just me, wife and 12 year old son in the boat. Figure it might be a cool place for a passenger to ride or fish a bit. Halfway through Trap I hear my son screaming from the back of the boat. He had slipped off of the stern seat and wedged his arm between the boat and stern frame. The wave train action tossed him around enough to break his arm just below the shoulder. Of course we didn't know it was broken for sure until another hour of river time, and an hour of driving to McCall for an E.R. visit. I wasn't rowing from the stern, and should have taken it off... looking at it this morning there are definite entrapment areas between the frame and boat. Lesson learned (the hard way) to keep un-necessary attachments off of the boat. Also, that stern frame will be getting a re-model.

Idaho_ski_bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018   #2

Idaho Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1972
Sorry for your son. Thanks for the reminder to be ever vigilant.
Lipripper60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018   #3

Worley, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2013
Bummer, hope your Son mends fast.
Machias is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2018   #4

Kalispell, Montana
Paddling Since: 1997
I hope your son heals quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho_ski_bum View Post
He had slipped off of the stern seat and wedged his arm between the boat and stern frame.

Also, that stern frame will be getting a re-model.

Seems that whatever happened to your son was independent of you running two frames; it didn't happen because you were on your big frame--you just didn't notice it because it was behind you, correct?

Removing the stern frame would have eliminated this hazard for today, but the hazard still could have existed next summer when you row from it?

Gap between the straight section and the kick?
Please update this thread with pics when you get to the remodel (after life calms down and your son is on the mend, of course!)

Not nit-picking, just looking for insight/lessons learned that we all can take away.
MT4Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018   #5

Arnold, California
I'm interested in lesson learned how he was caught so I can avoid on mine.

Cheers,
Dave
Old 08-21-2018   #6

Salt Lake City, Utah
Regardless of any criticism you may get from others, thank you for posting this.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018   #7

McCall, Idaho
Kid is doing great. He's pretty tough. No more boating for him for 4 to 6 weeks though. Thanks for the positive vibes our way! He slid off of the seat at about a 45 degree angle and arm went through the frame gap just behind the oar towers. Looking at it now I see a huge potential for exactly this situation.
I think I got the pic's to attach... we shall see. In a situation where the rower is using the stern seat I think the risk would be far less than having a passenger back there. It's still getting a remodel though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1899.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	31687   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1900.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	31689  

Old 08-21-2018   #8

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Sorry about your son... Unrelated question but are those pads on your coolers custom made?
TheAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018   #9

McCall, Idaho
Those are actually old seat pads from a Riblet double chair lift. My oars are in the way, otherwise you would be able to see the slot where the center pole went. The ski area where I work had a pile of them laying around after the old lift was removed, so I re-purposed a few. They make for a nice cooler ride, and reinforce the wimpy hinges as well.
Old 08-21-2018   #10

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Very cool. They look good!
TheAlaskan is offline   Reply With Quote