Umbrella or Bimini and some sound product recommendations - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 05-25-2015   #1

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Umbrella or Bimini and some sound product recommendations

Looking for a good sunshade for multi day float trip through the desert. Any suggestions. Running a 13ft cat normally set up for fishing. I think an umbrella might work best for conversion back to casting setup.

Dwebfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2015   #2

boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I have used a bimini for a few years now and like it more than an umbrella. It provides way more shade and is sturdier. It folds flat or goes back up in seconds.
Old 05-26-2015   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
I went through 3 umbrellas in 1 year. Two broke in Deso winds, 1 I stepped on and broke it. I ended up buying an 8' bimini off ebay and loved it ever since. In trail wind you can actually make a sail

Advertisement

Old 05-26-2015   #4

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
So, is installation pretty straight forward?
Dwebfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #5
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Most of them come with plastic T brackets with 2 screw holes which you can bolt to a wooden frame. I just used hose clamps to attach it to the tubes. Took the whole 2 minutes.
Old 05-26-2015   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Another bimini vote here. I too went through several umbrellas and think popping up the bimini is easier than dealing with an umbrella. There is a couple ways to install them. Which depend on your set up. If you have a deck over your frame they are really easy; just screw the cleat to the deck and put the bow pivot in and tighten the screw. If you don't have a deck River sombrero makes an aluminum bracket that ubolts to the frame onto which you mount the cleat as above. My first bimini, I made a smilar bracket out of oak which worked fine for years.... my new boat has a deck and I've gone a step forward and mounted sliding brackets so I can fit it tight to my dry box when not in use but have proper coverage when its up. It's always on my boat - fishing trip or not and has turned several massive rain storms into enjoyable cocktail hours. When down it really doesn't get in the way.

Edit: Hose clamps sound like a great idea...
Old 05-26-2015   #7

Hi,

I've used a bimini for years and love it for all of the stated reasons.

A caveat, however. Depending on where your mounts are fitted in relation to your oarlocks (which determines where the angled supports wind up), and the manner in which you bring your oars in, there can be interference issues.

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
richp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #8

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I was concerned about the two rear straps on my bimini getting in the way of shipping my oars so I could lower the bimini in a hurry. So, I took those two straps off and slit a hole in the fabric (protected with duct tape) at the center point on the rear bar, put one of the straps through it, and now connect it to a river strap that I attach to the rear d-ring on my raft or somewhere high-up on my pile of gear in the back of the boat. The river strap makes for quick tension adjustments and the one strap is always clear of my oars. I abused a similar bimini on a water ski boat for years so wasn't worried about any diminished stability. The bimini stayed taught and rigid on a recent San Juan trip with varied weather.
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015   #9
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Jim, can you post some pictures, I am not sure I understand what you did.
Old 05-26-2015   #10

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I didn't take a camera on this past trip, but here is a quick diagram of where I put the strap. I removed the two straps at the rear that came with the bimini, and attached one of them to the middle of the rear cross bar.

I did this on the river, so used duct tape to protect the fabric from fraying. If I'd done it at home I would have removed the bar and used a sewing machine instead of the duct tape.

I also reversed the bimini and put the "front" at the rear of the boat so that the frame would lie flat on my deck. (As designed by the factory, the rear frame/bow has a curve near the lower hinge point that would not allow it to lie flat.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	9960
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bimini.png
Views:	246
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	9959  
Jim S is offline   Reply With Quote