Ultimate Low Water Rig for Multiday MFS, Selway.etc - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-15-2015   #1

On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Ultimate Low Water Rig for Multiday MFS, Selway.etc

I've been thinking about getting a smaller raft for doing low water tech runs down the Middle fork and Selway rivers. It seems that high water years are going the way of the buffalo and this might be a good way to extend my season. I've been looking at the Aire 13D, 13E, and the Puma series. I have been watching some videos of Jon Barker doing low water Bruneau and Owyhee with the 13E and it looks very capable. The added .5" on the tubes on the E series could be nice to have in low water, but the D have a smaller waterline albeit slightly smaller tubes. I have rowed a superpuma down the MFS top end @500cfs before and it was a breeze. I remember wishing that it was a little more stable for some of the bigger drops, but it was pretty sweet. But I would like to put on a little more gear for multi day. The super duper looks nice but the long waterline has me wondering if it would be difficult to spin and turn on a dime.

Thoughts?

DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015   #2

SLC, Utah
All would be good options for low water floating. I think that the Puma series are particularly nice for really narrow rivers or getting through narrow slots. I have also run a super puma down the top end of the MFS and it was an absolute pleasure, especially in places like Sulfur and the Chutes. But I agree that they are small and a slightly larger yet still very nimble raft would be better for multiday and still being able to sneak thru the gnarly rocky shoals of low water. I think I know what videos you are talking about, I've seen one where Jon Barker runs Owyhee falls in a 13E. It looks like he is running a scaled down 4 bay frame with captains boxes and all, looks like a very sweet setup.
screamingeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015   #3

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
If you looking at doing multi day in low water I would avoid the E series. The Puma would be great because they will distribute the weight, so will the D series but the E series would actually be counter productive because it is a white water design and will sit lower in the water due to shorter waterline. JMO
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2015   #4

On The River, Idaho
Interesting...however, looking at the Aire site. The 13D has a waterline of 91" and the 13E has a waterline of 93". So the E actually has a larger waterline and larger tubes than the D series. Wouldn't this actually make the E series float higher in the water with multiday gear? I'm pretty much torn between the Super Duper Puma, 13E and 13D. Interestingly enough, the SDP has the longest waterline at 98", but would this make it hard to turn when loaded?
Old 09-15-2015   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
From a boyancy perspective, I'd avoid the narrow superpuma and go with a more traditional design for larger surface area. is 8" really going to make a difference on where you fit or is the extra capacity going to keep you from sticking in the shallows? In my experience more draft is king, you really want to maximize surface area for boyancy (I know it's more complicated than that, but area is the biggest factor). That or go longer to the SDP - has more surface area but fits in narrower spaces.

I know this is all a balancing act, but the bigger the boat, the higher it floats (with the same load) so it comes down to what's more important, draft higher or fit in smaller spaces.
Old 09-15-2015   #6

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 1983
Just to think outside the drybox - have you considered a radical leap to a Fat cat, Cutthroat, or even packraft? I have used each of those and much prefer them to a small raft under the conditions you describe. A cutthroat even looks, rows, and hauls a little like a raft
paulster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015   #7

On The River, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulster View Post
Just to think outside the drybox - have you considered a radical leap to a Fat cat, Cutthroat, or even packraft? I have used each of those and much prefer them to a small raft under the conditions you describe. A cutthroat even looks, rows, and hauls a little like a raft
I'm definitely looking for a small raft. I want to be able to haul a cooler and a couple boxes. I have an IK for backpacker style trips if I want to go that route, but I would like to be able to bring more stuff and eat better and drink beer. I am not a fan of cats in low water, rafts work much better and I am highly skilled and proficient at rowing large rafts through really shallow rocky rivers. I would just prefer to have a smaller one for myself. I really like the setup on these boats in the video below.

Old 09-15-2015   #8

Post Falls, Idaho
That's a cool video I'm assuming those are 130E. Which I'm not sure why they would choose over a D.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015   #9

East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Spider will haul more than a puma with less draft. I miss mine but she's in good hands these days. Shes now running low water multis in OR with people and gear or padding up to 7!!!! People. Amazing boat, just a bit flippy when running solo. New owner just did dechutes, rogue and umpuque running 3 up with gear. She is the Jeep of boats..
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015   #10

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleShadow View Post
Interesting...however, looking at the Aire site. The 13D has a waterline of 91" and the 13E has a waterline of 93". So the E actually has a larger waterline and larger tubes than the D series. Wouldn't this actually make the E series float higher in the water with multiday gear? I'm pretty much torn between the Super Duper Puma, 13E and 13D. Interestingly enough, the SDP has the longest waterline at 98", but would this make it hard to turn when loaded?
I shouldn't have said waterline. I should have said weight capacity. the E will have some. The D will have more and the R will have the most but it's wide. I'm not sure how the puma series fits in that line.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote