Tying up a boat to shore - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-01-2013   #1

Tying up a boat to shore

Looking for opinions, thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc. Thanks.

----

Currently: I have a jumar on the boat on a short tether completely separate from a rope that is in an attached bag. I pull the end out of the bag and after tying up to shore I just clip the rope into the jumar. The good thing about this method is that it is quick and easy to tighten up.

One bad thing is that if the water drops and the rope gets taut, it can be hard to unclip from the jumar. The other bad thing is that you must either walk up to the tie off with a loose rope (thus making it impossible to hold the boat to the shore) or you need to guess at how much rope you need, pull that much out, and clip in, at which point you can walk to the tie-off with a tight rope while holding the boat to shore.

Considering: thinking of changing because of the downsides but have not figured what to change to. I do not mind the very occasional difficulty in unclipping (if you anticipate the water dropping you can adjust or use a different knot) but it would be nice to be able to jump ashore while holding the boat in. I may try a method where I leave the jumar tethered where it is but clip it into the rope a couple of feet from where the rope attaches to the boat (to have some ability to lengthen the line, then carry the bag of line to a tie-off point, tie a knot and leave the bag with most of the rope on shore (instead of on the boat where it is now), then go back to the boat and tighten up the jumar.

dirtbagpinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013   #2
Dipshit with the most.

Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991

Not being a complete smartass but I use a variety of knots to be able to tension (truckers hitch), untie from in the boat ( run the rope back to the d-ring with a half hitch), tie to two different places ( butterfly to split), regular tie up ( double half hitch with or without a bite). Never thought of carrying an extra piece of hardware just for this.
carvedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #3

cedar city, Utah
Leave the expensive equipment at home and just use one of the many hitches that are useable for those situations. We use a tautline or munter/mule combo based on the situation. Might as well learn to make your knots "slippery" as well in case the system gets overly wrenched.

The Grand has been the only place in which I was frustrated with hitches, as 1-2 times the 18' beast was stranded so high and dry to make it difficult to deal with. Every other river trip I have never remotely had a problem with our systems.

I would actually hesitate to use a jumar anyway. From what I understand they are best used with loads that are static. From what I read from your comment I would worry about any tidal movement not being appropriate for the device and possible damaging the rope. If you really must use such a device I would go with one that has blunt mechanisms like a shunt to avoid the toothy damage to the rope. That said, I see no reason to have such a device ( I do have two mechanical stops for my z-drag).
restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2013   #4
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
I don't like a Jumar for this use, personally. They are designed for a unidirectional load- parallel to the rope. Things can go to Hell in a Handbasket with a sideways pull, whether it be from wind, current, rising water levels or just me tripping over your bow line. I use 2 Half Hitches on a Bight. Quick, Easy, Secure, easy to untie or adjust.
Old 08-01-2013   #5
Old Guy in a PFD

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1967
dude;
Bowline. Static point on shore. tie knot. drink beer.

This should not be difficult. Maybe in the Grand, you know, where the gummit messes with the water all the time, but elsewhere.........no. Just tie the damn thing up and move on.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013   #6

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
This post reminds me of this article from America' Finest News Source.

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Tautline - secure & adjustable.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #8
aka The Curmudgeon

Hopelessly Stuck in Yesterday, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Looky Here, Looky Here!

Boating Knot Uses | What Boating Knot to Use | How to Choose a Boating Knot

Animated illustrations of tying all sorts of knots, indexed by the use of the knot. I used to think I knew quite a few, once again I've been humbled.
Old 08-02-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I love that website. The animated knot tying is really helpful.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013   #10
Plunk your magic twanger!

New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
This post reminds me of this article from America' Finest News Source.

-AH
This made me laugh this morning and I shared it with a few others. I just went back and read it again... and laughed again! Thanks!
Gremlin is online now   Reply With Quote