Tuning Oar locks - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-05-2013   #1
Alaskagrown

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Tuning Oar locks

I'm trying to figure out what size openings I should tune my oar locks to. Should the oars be able to slip through the horn opening with relative ease, should it be fairly hard to pull them through, or should it be nearly impossible without great force? I currently have Cataract SGG oars that are 1 7/8" outside diameter. My oar locks are from Recretec and have a horn opening of 1 5/8" which is the same as all of the NRS oar locks. Should it be that tight of a fit or should I open the horn wider? I'm assuming I shouldn't have to take my oar blades off just to take the oars out of the locks. Right? Any advise would be much appreciated. Cheers!

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I set mine kinda like ski bindings, so they release just before somebody gets hurt.

Your blades should have a skinny part to let you get them in and out without removing the blade.
teletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #3

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
Quote:
Originally Posted by teletoes View Post
I set mine kinda like ski bindings, so they release just before somebody gets hurt.

Your blades should have a skinny part to let you get them in and out without removing the blade.

Like he said. The tighter the locks are set the less range of up/down motion which is not good. Too loose and every little bump will kick the oar out of the lock. Strike a happy medium. This is one good argument for pins/clips but then I row open locks.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote